Red velvet substance all over live rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need some help. I have a 65 gallon tank about 9 months now. Recently I have this red substance that looks like velvet all over the live rock. I try to remove it but it seems that when it hits the air it turns to liquid. No matter haow many times I remove it, it comes back. I have about 30 pounds of live rock in the tank. The fish do not seem to be affected. How do I get ris of it? someone suggested a skimmer and some more critters that will clean it?

My bet is that it is cyano. If you can rub it off with your finger it is most likely cyano. I have a break out that i am trying to control by pwc's every 2nd day. My snails (margarita and astrea) are eating it but that is not a great solution as it isn't going to the root of the problem which is usually po4 in the water. I know these questions will be asked by others so i will ask. 1.) What type of water are you using (tap, RO or RO/DI)? 2.) How often do you do water changes?

info on your set would help.. sounds like cyno bacteria/ red slime.

tanks size, lighting, flow, what type of water do you use.. Test for PO4, Nitrates and post results.

Back
Top Bottom