Redoing live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tilton.s11

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to have to move my tank soon and I want to redo the rock.

ForumRunner_20130620_121932.jpg

There is my tank shot. Any ideas or tips? Maybe glue that actually works? Or drilling holes and adding pvc?

Thought about 2 "mountains" one on each end.

Stupid question alert...is it recommended to glue the rock? I currently have mine stacked, but not glued...

Me too. I like to move the rock around so they think they're swimming further. Ha ha

Probably not "recommended" but neither is rocks falling in the tank. & I have an engineer that likes to dig so I need to do something. I know they make glue for it just want some advice from people who has done it. Or a better idea??

I've sourced quite a few (frag) glues especially for corals. I can't see that any would be harmful but think the curing is important part.

There are some aqua scape designs with rocks that need to be glued. It will give you peace of mind that they will not tumble while sand is being poured.

I drilled mine and used 1/2 inch PVC. I love it. I made some nice arches as such. Let me see if I can get some pics.

We only had each rock out for 5 to 10 minutes to do this. The rock was soft, it drilled quickly.

Attachments

• image-121958746.jpg
    image-121958746.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 141
  • image-2028913205.jpg
    image-2028913205.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 151
  • image-3482610726.jpg
    image-3482610726.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 135
  • image-1284933997.jpg
    image-1284933997.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 128
I cant bring myself to glueing my rocks together. Im not sure that i want the rockscape to be the same forever so im hesitant to glue them. But if you like your scape and want to keep it that way forever the go for it.

Egg crate under the sand is a big help. I have that to support my scape and there was no shift when my engineer went to town digging under the foundation.

Another option over the PVC idea is using plastic dowel rods. I believe you can get them from hobby stores. This way it is a smaller hole to be drilled. You could even secure egg crate and the rods together so you could almost do a linkin log sort of deal with your rocks if you ever want to redo the scape.

Egg crate under the sand is a big help. I have that to support my scape and there was no shift when my engineer went to town digging under the foundation.

Another option over the PVC idea is using plastic dowel rods. I believe you can get them from hobby stores. This way it is a smaller hole to be drilled. You could even secure egg crate and the rods together so you could almost do a linkin log sort of deal with your rocks if you ever want to redo the scape.

Very good ideas. Would the engineer get mad about hitting the egg creates? He pretty much digs to the bottom of the tank.

Don't you think using an egg crate in your substrate lessen the effectiveness of you filtration? Having enclosed the substrate with small partitions will prohibit any substrate living creatures from moving around to clean your detritus.

Don't you think using an egg crate in your substrate lessen the effectiveness of you filtration? Having enclosed the substrate with small partitions will prohibit any substrate living creatures from moving around to clean your detritus.

Good point. Maybe if I just put a few sections of egg crate where the rock would be resting on. Then it wouldn't affect the engineer so much.

Back
Top Bottom