redsea's 125g Build (Again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I meant literally go to the store to work for the cost/part of the cost of the tank, lol. But now after rereading, it is a not so local lfs.

Oh, I get it now! Nope, I will just be paying for the tank. :) Yeah, unfortunately it is about an hour and a half away, which is a shame because it is such a fun place. However, it does make for a nice treat when we make the trek up there.

So, long time no see! I OFFCIALLY have the tank ordered as of today and will come in on Friday. It likely own't be delivered for approximately one to two weeks, however. Basically, I had quite a few delays over the summer which prevented me from getting it sooner, but I am so ecstatic that it's coming now! I am currently in the process of looking for equipment, dry rock, etc. The main thing I am in search of now are protein skimmers. I found a Corallife one earlier, but the consensus is that it doesn't perform too well. Any suggestions guys? What brands are your favorite?

Thanks so much for following everyone, I greatly appreciate it! :smilecolros:

Glad to see things starting to come together for you. As far as Skimmers, I use a Reef Octopus BH50 with Multi mount options. This Skimmer works really well. Here is a picture of it. I purchased it from BRS.
1444042668092.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So, long time no see! I OFFCIALLY have the tank ordered as of today and will come in on Friday. It likely own't be delivered for approximately one to two weeks, however. Basically, I had quite a few delays over the summer which prevented me from getting it sooner, but I am so ecstatic that it's coming now! I am currently in the process of looking for equipment, dry rock, etc. The main thing I am in search of now are protein skimmers. I found a Corallife one earlier, but the consensus is that it doesn't perform too well. Any suggestions guys? What brands are your favorite?

Thanks so much for following everyone, I greatly appreciate it! :smilecolros:

I would ask Mr. X. He is the skimmer pro here on AA.

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions! :-D

So here is the interesting thing I forgot to mention! I am actually going to be running this tank sumpless. :hide::hide: I know it isn't always advisable, but since this is mainly going to be a fish-only setup, I think it will be okay. :) With that said, I was looking up all of everyone's suggestions and came across this one. Reef Octopus Classic 2000 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Skimmers, Reactors & Filtration - Bulk Reef Supply

It was one of few that I found that could be used in my size tank for "hang-on the back" purposes. BRS says they reccommend that you use it in tanks no larger than 100 gallons, however, the official website says about 132- 212 gallons if I remember correctly (you have to convert from liters). Seems like a big difference, not sure if someone made an error. I also checked Marine and Reef.com, and they said 130g-208g

Here are the links: Reef Octopus

Reef Octopus Classic BH-2000 Protein Skimmer

Reef Octopus Classic 2000 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Skimmers, Reactors & Filtration - Bulk Reef Supply

Does this seem like a good choice for a skimmer? Unfortunately there are not many hang-ons for the 125g+ range. I was also wondering if maybe I should go with two smaller skimmers instead of two larger ones. Ideally, I would like only one skimmer, but I would be open to the possibility of two if it was necessary.

I will also be running a traditional HOB filter for items like carbon, purigen, etc.

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions! :-D

So here is the interesting thing I forgot to mention! I am actually going to be running this tank sumpless. :hide::hide: I know it isn't always advisable, but since this is mainly going to be a fish-only setup, I think it will be okay. :) With that said, I was looking up all of everyone's suggestions and came across this one. Reef Octopus Classic 2000 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Skimmers, Reactors & Filtration - Bulk Reef Supply

It was one of few that I found that could be used in my size tank for "hang-on the back" purposes. BRS says they reccommend that you use it in tanks no larger than 100 gallons, however, the official website says about 132- 212 gallons if I remember correctly (you have to convert from liters). Seems like a big difference, not sure if someone made an error. I also checked Marine and Reef.com, and they said 130g-208g

Here are the links: Reef Octopus

Reef Octopus Classic BH-2000 Protein Skimmer

Reef Octopus Classic 2000 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Skimmers, Reactors & Filtration - Bulk Reef Supply

Does this seem like a good choice for a skimmer? Unfortunately there are not many hang-ons for the 125g+ range. I was also wondering if maybe I should go with two smaller skimmers instead of two larger ones. Ideally, I would like only one skimmer, but I would be open to the possibility of two if it was necessary.

I will also be running a traditional HOB filter for items like carbon, purigen, etc.

Hi Redsea, in my opinion I think its an excellent choice. I have one very similar (for smaller tank though) on my 20 gallon long tank and it really does an excellent job. But like Paul suggested I would check with Mr. X before commit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone for all your help.

And hi Paul! I totally missed your comment before!

Back
Top Bottom