Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
Is that skimmer going to be enough for the tank? I believe its reccomended to skim at least double the volume you have, 125g tank would be 250g worth of skimming. Are you going to use a sump with this tank?

For lights why not good ole T5HO? It worked in the past and it works now. If you don't want to focus on corals I would go with t5s.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh I didn't know about skimming double! I'm going to go see if they have a high powered model...I may run into issues since I'm looking at hang on the back units...ill go check now. Thank you!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I looked at that skimmer red, and to be honest it is just the bare minimum. You want at least 50% more than your tanks volume. preferably double. I understand you arent; going with a sump so your options will be limited but do a bit more research and see what you can come up with. If you need help I can do some searching too for you.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Uh oh, I'm afraid I made a big mistake. I bit the bullet and ordered the bh2000 the other night. I found this graph on their website saying it's good up to 211 gallons and on marineandreef.com it says it's good up to 208Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452897749.132956.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	283754

I can probably return it though. It's weird that the websites have different gallon values, frustrating. Hmmm

Thanks everyone for following.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

redsea's 125g Build (Again)

Don't panic. The air flow of the skimmer and design is what matters. If your reef is covered in coral and/or you have a lot of fish, then yes, a big skimmer is needed. But a tank that isn't densely populated can get away with a much smaller one. It is possible to over skim the water as well as under skimming it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see what you mean...hmmmm. The skimmer still hasn't come in yet, so I won't open it when it gets here until I can make a decision. I would love to populate this tank with a decent amount of fish since I'm really not going to be delving into coral with this specific build. So I may need a larger one. I mean I always could buy a second one down the road I guess Id I find I need it, but that would not look great and two skimmer would probably not be ideal at all, lol.

I am totally open to other options that you guys have! One of the reasons I bit the bullet on this one was because I was having such a tough time finding other hang on options.

Thanks guys, you all are the best!
Old 01-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey guys! How are you all doing?

Though the skimmer may be lacking a bit, I have decided to use it for the moment, especially because I am running two other filters on the tank for carbon/purigen/chemipure that are rated for 90 gallons. Worse comes to worse I figure I can supplement this skimmer with another smaller one. We'll see how it goes.

Things are moving super quickly. The water is at the correct salinity, and the aquascaping is almost done! I am so thankful that I have my 29g BioCube for seeding purposes. We are starting to get to my favorite part of the build....fish!

As far as first fish goes....I'm going to be moving my Black Ice Snowflake Clown to the new tank, but I am thinking I will also get another clown that is very small. I would love to have a pair, and my current clown is single at the moment. She is a it aggressive, so I figure if I get a small Clown there won't be much squabbling....she'll be the female and the small Clown will be the male? Does this thought process sound about right?

I am not sure what type of Clown I will be purchasing to pair with her, but I am 99% sure Black Ice Snowflakes are Occellaris, so it will be another Ocellaris.

Thanks so much for checking in!
Old 01-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Redsea, glad things are coming along with the tank. I just wated to share something with you. I have a Cinnomon clown and wanted to do the same thing as you but when i put another cinnomon clown in the tank the existing clown went after it and chased and hurassed it and by the time i was able to remove it, it was to late the fish died. I would recommend putting the new smaller clown in the tank first and then waiting a day and then add the other clown.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Hi Redsea, glad things are coming along with the tank. I just wated to share something with you. I have a Cinnomon clown and wanted to do the same thing as you but when i put another cinnomon clown in the tank the existing clown went after it and chased and hurassed it and by the time i was able to remove it, it was to late the fish died. I would recommend putting the new smaller clown in the tank first and then waiting a day and then add the other clown.

Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it!

You're right...that makes a lot more sense. That way the smaller clown will stsrt to be established, and the big "mean" female Clown won't be so hard on him (hopefully!)

Old 01-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your welcome redsea. Cant wait to see the tank full of life.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Your welcome redsea. Cant wait to see the tank full of life.

Me too! It certainly has been a long time coming! I'm super excited.

Tags
build, red, redsea, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com