Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387586481.646265.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	212908

What do you guys think? I added more ammonia tonight.....

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388018772.136367.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	213589

Here is the updated photo from today! This is the first time testing since I posted last, and it is starting to look like I will be testing more often! I love seeing the progress!

Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy!

Old 12-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since adding more ammonia on Christmas, I just tested a few hours ago. It appears that there is still some left, but not a lot. I upped the ammonia back up, and hope that this tank will be cycled soon.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Activist

redsea's 29g BioCube Build #1

Hi! I just got my Coralife Biocube 29g on Christmas, and have not removed it from the box yet. I plan to when I come back from vacation sometime in January. I like how your tank's coming along! This will be my first tank, and saltwater, too. Sorry to sound a bit pushy, but do you have any tips? ;D
Old 12-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy410 View Post
Hi! I just got my Coralife Biocube 29g on Christmas, and have not removed it from the box yet. I plan to when I come back from vacation sometime in January. I like how your tank's coming along! This will be my first tank, and saltwater, too. Sorry to sound a bit pushy, but do you have any tips? ;D

Hello! Thanks for the compliment!

There is a lot to saltwater, and I will mention somethings that I believe are important below.

1. Research is important when it comes to selecting creatures for the tank. For instance, you don't want to go the fish fish store and purchase a fish, later finding out that it will grow a foot long! Research is also important because it lets you know what fish are comparable and which ones are not, as not all fish will get along with each other. There are also cases where only certain numbers of fish should be kept together. Take Clownfish, for example. It is sometimes recommended to keep no more than two in the same aquarium.

2. Also, on the topic of selecting fish, it is important to note amount. It is vital not to overstock your aquarium, as it can lead to inadequate water conditions.

I hope tees tips are useful!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Activist

They are very useful, thanks!
I had an idea for stocking before, with a bunch of small fish, and to crowd a bit, but that would not work. Corals help water quality, correct?
Old 12-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

To my knowledge, corals do not help water quality. I can see how someone may think that though since freshwater plants help keep water clean.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Activist

redsea's 29g BioCube Build #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea View Post
To my knowledge, corals do not help water quality. I can see how someone may think that though since freshwater plants help keep water clean.

Oh That just changed a lot. For the Biocube, would I need a heater? Since the lights are so strong, I was afraid that with a heater I would boil my fish.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Depends on where you live., I live in florida and have not had a use for a heater. I actually keep the back door flap open to keep the temp stable.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi everyone! I figured that I would post an update, as one is overdue.

For those not aware, I have been having some issues with my filter piece, where the water level becomes a bit too high for my liking. My tank is basically ready for fish at this point, so I am curious as to if I can place the media in the back of the tank not in the filter chamber I bought for now.

My aquarium came with a little rack to hold up the bio-balls, so I figured I could simply place my media right on that. I figured that water flow would be good as it has to move through that chamber to get to the return pump. Additionally, I may have a little waterfall like structure due to the lack of the bio-balls, lol.

Thanks for viewing my thoughts! I am really excited to get some living stuff in here, hopefully this weekend if I can figure out this predicament.

Tags
29 gallon, bio, biocube, build, cube, red, redsea, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com