redsea's 29g BioCube Build #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a bit of an update! Small, but an update it is! LOL I am getting the tank on April 26! Like I mentioned, it is currently freshwater, but I think I am going to be setting up a separate tank for the current inhabitants that I will keep as freshwater, depending on how many/how large the FW fish in it are. I just want to do whatever is best for the current fish, so I will be taking things nice and slow. :)

As for stocking...well, you bet I've been thinking! LOL. Of course I have my mind on Tangs, I think I will finally have a Yellow with this build. I have never had one before, though I did have a Scopas in my last 125g. I love Salfins too, but they usually like larger tanks...like 180g +, right? I am also thinking of smaller fish also, such as Gobies and Blennies. I really like Fang bennies, but I am pretty scared of getting bitten due to their venomous quality. I also think I would love to have quite a few cleaner shrimp in the tank too.

I am completely open to ideas! :)

Sailfins are recommended to be in 180s. I'm no expert when it comes to dimensions of large tanks so I couldn't tell you why. But something that could go into a 125...is a purple or scopas tang.

Sailfins are recommended to be in 180s. I'm no expert when it comes to dimensions of large tanks so I couldn't tell you why. But something that could go into a 125...is a purple or scopas tang.

Yeah, I think I will skip on the Salfin. :) Purple Tangs are so beautiful too, and I really enjoyed the Scopas when I had it a few years ago. Ideally, I would love to have something like a Purple and Yellow together, but I know how that can not turn out well. Although I think I have heard of some success stories...maybe if introducing them at the same time?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Yep, you kinda dont want two similar tangs, either it be color or shape. BUT on another note, it can work out but your best bet is to add them at the same time and have lots of hidey holes for them. A purple would be an awesome fish to get, I would love one but A. I dont have the cash and B. I dont have the room right now lol

If they don't look the same is the rule I've always been told...

I think I will stick to that, I'd rather be safe than sorry for sure.

Yep, you kinda dont want two similar tangs, either it be color or shape. BUT on another note, it can work out but your best bet is to add them at the same time and have lots of hidey holes for them. A purple would be an awesome fish to get, I would love one but A. I dont have the cash and B. I dont have the room right now lol

Oh yes, Purples are amazing but you are right, they sure are pricey. Liveaquaria's cheapest right now is $240! For medium/large size. :eek:

In your opinion, do you guys think they are more aggressive than Yellows? I have always heard that, but I wonder since they are both Zebrasoma...hmmm

Wish I had the answer to that one, lol, I have heard about the purples but you can get lucky with the yellows too. My first yellow, twitchy, was very nasty, his replacement is alot calmer and more mellow. You could get two terrors or could get lucky with two that would get along.

Wish I had the answer to that one, lol, I have heard about the purples but you can get lucky with the yellows too. My first yellow, twitchy, was very nasty, his replacement is alot calmer and more mellow. You could get two terrors or could get lucky with two that would get along.

Thanks for the input! It's true that some fish have its own personality! :)

I don't know anything about tangs but the fang blennies are super awesome, underrated fish! I had a canary and a forktail (blue & yellow ones) and never once did any of them even try to bite me and my hands are always in the tank. And I've gotten very close to them as well. They are extremely observant and have the strangest sleeping/resting behaviors. Both I've had 'stuck' themselves to the silicone bead in the tank and where invisible to all other tank mates. Their colors also fade alot while they are sleeping. The forktail was by far my favorite because of the colors. I would say get one!

Thanks so much for the recommendation, Paul! I clicked on your link and saw yours, it's beautiful! They swim a lot too, right? They just look plain awesome. Did you have a Canary and Forktail in the tank at the same time? I love fish that have interesting resting behavior, it's always fun to observe. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the recommendation, Paul! I clicked on your link and saw yours, it's beautiful! They swim a lot too, right? They just look plain awesome. Did you have a Canary and Forktail in the tank at the same time? I love fish that have interesting resting behavior, it's always fun to observe. Thanks again!

No I didn't have them together, and I'm pretty sure they would've fought. They seem to have their days. Sometimes they are out all day swimming and pecking at the rocks (in almost a dragonet way) and other times they may be stuck to something moving nothing but their head and eyes...watching. Unfortunately both of mine died. They were harassed a little by my wrasse I had at the time so I'm sure that played a role. I don't think I've ever really known anyone to keep one on the long term so I really don't know what's up with that. But if your tank is healthy I wouldn't hesitate to try one. I think I just had bad luck on them.

I haven't posted here in a while, but I have some great updates to share with this tank!

SO much has been happening lately with this tank, I'm really excited. For the longest time, this tank only had a Cleaner Shrimp and Black Ice Snowflake Clownfish in it, but so much has been happening recently. A few weeks ago I picked up a Flurry Clownfish to pair with the Black Ice Snowflake, and I am pleased to share that they have taken to each other very well, I don't see any aggression thankfully. Also, last Sunday I purchased A FIRE SHRIMP (AHHHH I LOVE THESE SOOOO MUCH, I HAVEN'T HAD ONE IN YEARS). The fella is soooo worth the price tag! It's colors are just amazing.
And yesterday I purchased a Pygmy Angelfish and Royal Gramma! The colors on those two! Ahh amazing!
I'll have a new video out soon to give you a visual of this tank. Stay tuned, and thanks so much for following along! :)

Oh! I also have two Zebra Turbo Snails and a red leg hermit in here! :)

Things are going rather oddly with this tank. I noticed the royal gramma and pygmy have had some fin damage...so I assumed it was the Clowns and moved them to their own 10g tank to see if it got better. Today, the pygmy actually seems a little worse? Though it could be the same as yesterday. And, interestingly, the Gramma looks like it has a little more of its tail affected. So I don't think the Gramma is nipping. I never see any physical aggression during the day...the only thing I can think of is the Angel going into the Gramma's cave at night unknowingly and getting beaten up? :( But then how would the gramma appear to have some tail damage? IDK what is going on in this tank. I thought it was the Clowns (and it still might be, they have only been moved for a day). But I just don't know. I'll give it a few more days to see how things go before making any more moving decisions...that sound okay? I'm really at a total loss. :(

Back
Top Bottom