Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #261
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
OH RED! I am soo sorry to hear about your clown, you had a nice looking fish there. :-(

Some clowns are more territorial than others, it comes down to the actual fish as far as guessing aggressiveness. Was the clown a percula mix or an oscellaris mix? I have found that perculas are a tad bit more nasty than their friends the oscellaris.
I agree on the 40b too! I love the footprint, it makes for some nice rockscapes. Too bad you didnt live anywhere near me as I will be selling off my 40 at some time in the near future.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you for your input! I am definitely thinking I will go for the 40g when I go for tank #2! (I will be keeping the BioCube also). I thought both Clowns were Oscellaris, but maybe one wasn't which caused the issue....

I will definitely keep everyone posted!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #262
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have some exciting news (well, at least for me! LOL). Today I went to the LFS and got three Mexican Turbo Snails, 5 Red Leg Hermits, and a Cleaner Shrimp. I am so excited about the Turbo Snails because I remember how fantastic they were in my old 34g RedSea Max, boy, can those guys eat and make your tank looks shiny and new!

I got the Red Leg Hermits more for enjoyment than to help with cleaning. I just adore Hermits, and the Rzed Legs look really fun with their bright color. I hope to get more Hermits in the future (I love all the varieties they come in!), but I will probably need to order from LiveAquaria, or ask my LFS if they can order them. I really like these for example; Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Aquariums: Halloween Hermit Crab
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab

Hey, it's kind of like being able to add more fish, except for these little Hermits don't have a huge Bio-Load .

Lastly, as you may remember, I had a Cleaner Shrimp in early 2014 that didn't make it. I am hopeful that this one will far much better. He looks very healthy and happy!

There's my update, I am going to try and be online much more frequently from now on. I miss being here more!

Thanks so much for reading, I appreciate it!

Old 03-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #263
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea View Post
I have some exciting news (well, at least for me! LOL). Today I went to the LFS and got three Mexican Turbo Snails, 5 Red Leg Hermits, and a Cleaner Shrimp. I am so excited about the Turbo Snails because I remember how fantastic they were in my old 34g RedSea Max, boy, can those guys eat and make your tank looks shiny and new!

I got the Red Leg Hermits more for enjoyment than to help with cleaning. I just adore Hermits, and the Rzed Legs look really fun with their bright color. I hope to get more Hermits in the future (I love all the varieties they come in!), but I will probably need to order from LiveAquaria, or ask my LFS if they can order them. I really like these for example; Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Aquariums: Halloween Hermit Crab
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab

Hey, it's kind of like being able to add more fish, except for these little Hermits don't have a huge Bio-Load .

Lastly, as you may remember, I had a Cleaner Shrimp in early 2014 that didn't make it. I am hopeful that this one will far much better. He looks very healthy and happy!

There's my update, I am going to try and be online much more frequently from now on. I miss being here more!

Thanks so much for reading, I appreciate it!
Sounds good! I just recently got me one of those Halloween hermits. Very colorful hermit. I usually I only like to have the scarlet reef hermits because of the temperament, but I couldn't pass this guy while they where in! They do require only cone shells though. Still looking to find some of those somewhere.

Here is Spook!

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #264
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Sounds good! I just recently got me one of those Halloween hermits. Very colorful hermit. I usually I only like to have the scarlet reef hermits because of the temperament, but I couldn't pass this guy while they where in! They do require only cone shells though. Still looking to find some of those somewhere.

Here is Spook!
OH WOW! He looks so cool, thank you for posting that photo of Spook!

I have never heard of cone shells before, I wonder where you can find them? I still need to purchase some extra hermit crab shells for my new guys for when they outgrow their current ones! I am hoping I can find those at a local LFS somewhere.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #265
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea View Post
OH WOW! He looks so cool, thank you for posting that photo of Spook!

I have never heard of cone shells before, I wonder where you can find them? I still need to purchase some extra hermit crab shells for my new guys for when they outgrow their current ones! I am hoping I can find those at a local LFS somewhere.
Yea my LFS has plenty of hermit shells, but I haven't seen any of the cone ones. They have a long slit opening. I'm thinking ill probably have to order some. There are shell collectors so i heard that sell all types.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:59 AM   #266
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yea my LFS has plenty of hermit shells, but I haven't seen any of the cone ones. They have a long slit opening. I'm thinking ill probably have to order some. There are shell collectors so i heard that sell all types.
That's interesting! Thanks for the info!

The long slit opening is so unique, I have never seen anything like it before.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #267
Aquarium Advice Addict

Finally, here is a photo of my new Cleaner Shrimp! A few days ago he molted, and looks more "polished" if that makes sense. I'm happy to have a Cleaner Shrimp again, there has only been one period of time in my saltwater days I can think of at the moment where I didn't have one, they are so much fun.

In other news, I have been thinking heavily about upgrades the past few days, could be anything from 40g to 125g at this point, LOL. I have had this tank for over a year at this point, and I enjoy it, but am also ready to get back into a larger tank too. For those that don't know, in my peak (2011-2012) I had a 34g, 55g, and 125g! in fall 2012 I sold them for reasons I regret, but I can't go back in time, all I can do is move forward. Here are some of my past build threads if you are interested!
redsea's 125g Reef Build
redsea's 34g Reef Build
redsea's 55g Reef Build

It is always a fun walk through memory lane to look through those!

Old 03-10-2015, 12:05 AM   #268
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Nice 'cuticle cleaner shrimp'! The one I used to have would always give my finger nails a good cleaning when my hands were in the tank! Can't wait to see how big you go on the upgrade.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:30 AM   #269
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Nice 'cuticle cleaner shrimp'! The one I used to have would always give my finger nails a good cleaning when my hands were in the tank! Can't wait to see how big you go on the upgrade.
Oh yes, the Cleaner Shrimp always love to clean humans, it's so funny. Most other ocean creatures try to stay away from humans. I love that name too, "Cuticle Cleaner Shrimp." Soon they're going to start incorporating Cleaner Shrimp at nails salons, for those who come in to get their cuticles done.

I am so excited too to see where this upgrade will go, we shall see!
Old 03-10-2015, 03:25 AM   #270
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Those hermits are really amazing looking. I love the inverts anyway, saw a few of these at the lfs last time they were calling my name but I didn't know enough about them and pretty sure they get too big for my 12G. Don't they get to be about 5 inches across?

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29 gallon, bio, biocube, build, cube, red, redsea, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com