redsea's 29g BioCube Build #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you set up the rack at all? Did you get it to fit properly?

Yes, I did get it to fit. :) I am just holding out on getting the internal filtration going until the tank is cycled. :)

Today, it appears as if nothing has changed since I last tasted about three days ago. :( I probably made some user error with the Dr. Tims.

I just finished my conversation with the great owner of Dr. Tim's One and Only. Essentially, he said that the bacteria pretty much instantly cycles my tank, and that the little bit of ammonia I think I am seeing is probably really nothing.

I am going to do a PWC, and then later on will add a small Clown Goby (which I have been wanting), as they have a small bioload. :)

I have pretty good trust with this bacteria, as I have seen some nice reviews. :)

Thanks for following!

Also, as a side note, maybe the reason my ammonia reading seems odd is because I have some "gunk" stuck on the sides of the tube from the time I left a test in there overnight. Hmmm

Your reading could be screwed up and the ammonia test is so darn hard to read properly sometimes. I have a couple test tubes with residue and die coloration from not emptying them promptly. I have been using a baby bottle brush to try to scrape the gunky ones with some success.

I've had a similar issue with the ammonia tests as you might remember....I test the tanks with API and they seem to have a trace of ammonia but when I use a higher quality kit like my salifert ammonia test it comes up completely clean with no doubts as its impossible to read a salifert ammo test wrong. lol
I would add the clown goby and keep a watchful eye on the parameters. The bioload will be so low that it should be fine. From there you will be adding on to the BB that the chemical introduced so it should all work out. Just dont overfeed! LOL My clown gobies are such little pigs too and beg everytime I go towards the tank.

Your reading could be screwed up and the ammonia test is so darn hard to read properly sometimes. I have a couple test tubes with residue and die coloration from not emptying them promptly. I have been using a baby bottle brush to try to scrape the gunky ones with some success. I've had a similar issue with the ammonia tests as you might remember....I test the tanks with API and they seem to have a trace of ammonia but when I use a higher quality kit like my salifert ammonia test it comes up completely clean with no doubts as its impossible to read a salifert ammo test wrong. lol I would add the clown goby and keep a watchful eye on the parameters. The bioload will be so low that it should be fine. From there you will be adding on to the BB that the chemical introduced so it should all work out. Just dont overfeed! LOL My clown gobies are such little pigs too and beg everytime I go towards the tank.

Sounds like a plan!

Yes, these API kits drive me bonkers! LOL! I never know what the readings are!

Thanks for your post.

Here are some pics of the tests I did today. The darker colored one is the test of the tank. The yellowy one is a test I did of some non-ammonia fresh saltwater from my bucket. (I did that one to ensure the kit was not messed up)

Grrr, not sure what to do. I think I probably accidentally killed that bacteria I bought......

Thanks for reading!

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• image-3770247559.jpg
    image-3770247559.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 120
  • image-131783331.jpg
    image-131783331.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 132
I wouldn't worry about if you killed the bacteria or not. Just let the tank cycle on its own. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby :) . It will be ready before you know it .

Sure can . You already have ammonia so it has begun . Both the 180 and 40 were started with all dry rock and sand .

Sure can . You already have ammonia ready so it has begun . Both the 180 and 40 were started with all dry rock and sand .

Oh really? I did not know that! How long did that take?

It definitey does look like there is ammonia is the tank though, right? I was planning on waiting to add more until this was gone.

It took about a month for them to cycle which is pretty standard . From your pics I would say you have at least 1ppm of ammonia present .

I'd say you have some trace ammonia from looking at the vials. And yep, you can start with nothing but dead sand and rock and still cycle. :) The key is to have an ammonia source. Not sure where youre ammonia came from, the bacteria? Or did you add any pure ammonia or a dead shrimp?

It took about a month for them to cycle which is pretty standard . From your pics I would say you have at least 1ppm of ammonia present .
I'd say you have some trace ammonia from looking at the vials. And yep, you can start with nothing but dead sand and rock and still cycle. :) The key is to have an ammonia source. Not sure where youre ammonia came from, the bacteria? Or did you add any pure ammonia or a dead shrimp?

Thanks Mike and Carey! I had added some pure ammonia, but stopped about a week ago.

Do you guys think I should wait for this to cycle through? Or should I add up to about 4ppm?

Thanks for posting everyone! While I am itching to have some living creatures, I know that patience is key. In the meantime I am enjoying watching my new Christmas Cactus bloom, lol! It may not be as exciting as a fish, but still looks nice. (A bit off topic there, sorry!)

Attachments

• image-2473435229.jpg
    image-2473435229.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 105
I personally think 4ppm is too much . I usually do 2ppm and let that cycle thru . Then another 2ppm and call it cycled .

Yep, 2ppm should suffice. I have done 4ppm in the past but that was for tanks that I knew i was going to stock heavily.

AS for the plant, very festive!!! Its hard to get in the christmas mood down here when it was 86 degrees today. lol

Great, so since it looks like I have about one ppm now, should I add a bit more to get to two.....or just wait for this bit to cycle through? (Sorry for the run on sentence)

Up here it is below freezing! I feel like if I was in warm weather during December I may miss the snow, but it could also be nice and relaxing. :) I love visiting FL, I think it is such a nice state!

Back
Top Bottom