redsea's 29g BioCube Build #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so cute! I just love looking at clowns, they are so adorable! Looks like you got a good pair going, the new one looks to be just a tad smaller than the first one so you should be ok. :)

Thank you! I am going to be uploading a video soon I took of them yesterday, keep your eyes peeled! :)

Here is a video I took a few minutes ago of the aggression. Occaisonally, there is some chasing biting. I'm thinking I may have to re-do the aquascape... :(
Clown - YouTube

Ugggg, I am now thinking both Clowns may need to be rehomed. I only have this 29g now, and my old Clown still scares the Firefish and now he picks out the new Clown. At a total loss. :(

Thanks!

Before I read your message, I had re-scaped the tank but didn't take them out while I did it. :( Do you think I should remove the nasty fish and try it again? Or would that not make much of a difference at this point. I was hoping my little rearrange would help curb his aggression towards the filefish, but it hasn't He may have to go. If you remove the aggressive Clown, do you think my passive one will end up aggressive eventually?

Thank you!

I have great news, things have appeared to settle down a bit! Everything is not perfect, but so much better! :D Woohooo :)

Glad to hear it. :) Sometimes you just have to let things be for a few days to be sure. I've found the first 3 days to be roughest to get by. It makes me feel helpless and like I should be doing something but it, most times, works itself out. If they had continued that behavior for more than a week and the firefish was visibly hurt then I would have said remove the mean guy.

Thanks! The Firefish does not appear hurt at all, luckily, but the Clown still likes to show him who's boss a bit. That seems to be a bit better to though luckily! :)

Hi everyone! Long time no update! So, the "mean" Clown has settled down a bit, but he certainly isn't perfect. There is still some chasing/nipping/aggressive activity, but I feel like it isn't as bad as it was when the new guy was just introduced. It still worries me, I am not sure if this amount of aggression is still too much. I am thinking I will take a long video one day and you guys can see how often it occurs and let me know your opinion. The other issue is that my "mean" (Black Ice) Clown still hasn't let my Firefish relax much. It seems like whenever he comes out of his hiding spot, the Clown fairly quickly sends him back to the hiding spot. :( I did re-scape the tank but I made the mistake of not taking out the fish. I am curious as to if it will make a difference to take out the aggressive Clown and re-scape again, or if taking out the fish isn't as big of a deal as the re-scaping itself. I am quite pleased with my current setup, but will absolutely change it again to make the fish happier if need be! I would just need to try and get the aggressive Clown with a net....LOL.

I was at my LFS tonight and saw the cutest Emeralds! It reminded me of how much I love them! :D I am going to get one soon, hopefully this weekend or next! So many cute shrimp there too! In other good news, I am thinking a 29g-55g second tank around December/January as a second tank! :D I can't go as big as I had in the past because I would like to put it in my bedroom on the second floor. I really would love the 55g but just am not sure if that is a good idea on a second floor...hmmmmm! I hope! :D

As long as you laid the tank along several floor joists you'll be fine. I have my 55 and 20 sump in such a manner on a floor that was at one point chewed up by wood boring beetles. If this is fine, an non-compromised floor will do the job without issue.

OOO new tank alert. lol I will have to be more vigilant in keeping up with your thread. :)

ANything new shaking as far as the biocube? How are the fishies?

I was at my LFS tonight and saw the cutest Emeralds! It reminded me of how much I love them! :D I am going to get one soon, hopefully this weekend or next! So many cute shrimp there too! In other good news, I am thinking a 29g-55g second tank around December/January as a second tank! :D I can't go as big as I had in the past because I would like to put it in my bedroom on the second floor. I really would love the 55g but just am not sure if that is a good idea on a second floor...hmmmmm! I hope! :D

I sense some MTS starting here! I love emerald crabs (if that's what you meant) I agree they are super cute! Here's a pic of mine.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418188263.490146.jpg

In that biocube are you going to buy a media basket? :p

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As long as you laid the tank along several floor joists you'll be fine. I have my 55 and 20 sump in such a manner on a floor that was at one point chewed up by wood boring beetles. If this is fine, an non-compromised floor will do the job without issue.
That's good to hear, thanks! :D This will be good because I would love a Flame Angel again (or some kind of Dwarf Angel) and I miss having a tank large enough for one. :)
OOO new tank alert. lol I will have to be more vigilant in keeping up with your thread. :)

ANything new shaking as far as the biocube? How are the fishies?
Yes! I am back here on AA full force. :) The fishes in the Bio Cube are doing well! I still have my three original, taking things slowly with this tank. Though I am SO getting an Emerald Crab soon, I so miss those guys! I remember mine up against the tank making a little heart, LOL. So cute! Oh, and their "dancing." I am coming up to my one year anniversary with my Black Ice Clown this January! WOW, time flies! The fish are behaving fairly well. The Clowns sometimes like to annoy the Firefish :(, but the Firefish seems okay. It stresses me out a bit, but I will keep assessing. As far as the two Clowns, they get along pretty well now! :dance::dance:
I sense some MTS starting here! I love emerald crabs (if that's what you meant) I agree they are super cute! Here's a pic of mine.

View attachment 257966
Oh yes, I just adore Emerald Crabs! I love yours! I used to have one in my old 34g! :)

I have some unfortunate news to report this afternoon. My Black and White Clown passed. :(

I absolutely will not be adding any more fish until I can figure out this behavior issues with the Black Ice Clown, I have never observed such a territorial Clown in my saltwater tank-keeping days.

You could always join the 40 breeder club! LOL. I'm working on mine now. Sorry to hear about the clown.

You could always join the 40 breeder club! LOL. I'm working on mine now. Sorry to hear about the clown.

I have seriously been considering that size! My room is pretty tiny, and it may give me added piece of mind with my large desk and BioCube also in the room! I think I just missed Petco's dollar per gallon sale, oops! It would be nice if I could get that going soon. That way I could move my Purple Firefish over as the first addition, and add my Black Ice Clown very last after all the other inhabitants have been added. Then I can kind of go backwards and stock the 29g, haha! I would think being the last added would curb her aggression towards other fish. She isn't too bad with the Firefish, but I see room for improvement!

Thanks for your input! :dance:

I feel your pain with aggressive clowns. My big pair are the most annoying things, to corals and fish alike. My poor Duncan can never eat in peace lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH RED! I am soo sorry to hear about your clown, you had a nice looking fish there. :-(

Some clowns are more territorial than others, it comes down to the actual fish as far as guessing aggressiveness. Was the clown a percula mix or an oscellaris mix? I have found that perculas are a tad bit more nasty than their friends the oscellaris.
I agree on the 40b too! I love the footprint, it makes for some nice rockscapes. Too bad you didnt live anywhere near me as I will be selling off my 40 at some time in the near future.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom