Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wink redsea's 29g BioCube Build #1

Hello everybody! As some of you know I have been planning to get a new saltwater tank, as I currently do not have any, and want to get back into the hobby. Originally, I wanted something bigger than 29g, but recently decided that was a poor idea because it would have to go in my basement (that is where my old 55g and 125g were). I realized that I really did not want to have tanks in the basement again, as I couldn't enjoy them very much, and they did not get all of their proper maintenance all the time (partly because they were so out of the way, and it was very difficult to get water down there for PWCs). I also realized that I wanted to keep things simple as far as equipment went.

Knowing all of these considerations, I decided that a 29g BioCube would be a perfect choice. The reason why its says #1 in the title is because I plan on hopefully purchasing another BioCube to go along with this one later down the road (I plan a lot in advance, LOL).

As for this tank, I obviously want fish, and would also like crabs, hermit crabs, shrimp, and maybe snails and feather dusters.

I know for a fact that I will have a pair of Clownfish, I am just not sure what kind of Clowns; there are so many these days! I also will have some Gobie(s) and maybe a Blenny. Right now, I would really like a Clown Goby and a "Pistol Shrimp Pairing" Goby in the tank. I have never really had the opportunity to witness this symbiotic relationship in my past tanks, and really would like to here. An additional idea I had was possibly a Jawfish, though I am aware they require a deep sandbed. Furthermore, Firefish are very appealing to me!

Invert-wise I will be purchasing a Fire Shrimp and Cleaner Shrimp(s).

That is all for now, thanks!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I should be making some progress very soon! I need to give my freshwater fish and plants to my LFS, shut down the freshwater, and then purchase the Bio-Cube. My LFS has the Bio-Cubes for $250.00, which I think is the best price I have ever seen! Furthermore, the stand is $150.00. I really think I will have this new tank within a week! Woohoo! It is about time!

Old 11-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should be a pretty smooth journey as long as you don't want to keep corals. I personally don't like the stock biocube lighting but I also am an sps nut so yeah. The stock PCs are good for softies and most lps and maybe some montipora. But as far as your fish they all sound like they would be compatable in any combination except for the jawfish. They can get quite nasty especially with gobys. Also here is a pic of my tiger goby/tiger pistol shrimp pair. I love watching them and have a bunch of like 5-10 min videos of them. If yoh would be interested in watching them I could upload them to youtube and post a link
Old 11-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwicky View Post
Should be a pretty smooth journey as long as you don't want to keep corals. I personally don't like the stock biocube lighting but I also am an sps nut so yeah. The stock PCs are good for softies and most lps and maybe some montipora. But as far as your fish they all sound like they would be compatable in any combination except for the jawfish. They can get quite nasty especially with gobys. Also here is a pic of my tiger goby/tiger pistol shrimp pair. I love watching them and have a bunch of like 5-10 min videos of them. If yoh would be interested in watching them I could upload them to youtube and post a link
I'd like to watch the shrimp and goby friends
Old 11-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's that pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131110_174115.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	207066  
Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey Redsea, I am following along! Good luck!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wish my pistols and gobys would show there face I have to almost stick the food under the rock there under because I'm afraid they will starve. Also they can move some serious sand they got my rocks all messed up so take that into consideration. Following along
Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwicky View Post
Here's that pic
Thanks for posting, how interesting! I would love to see a video if you have one. Also, thanks for the help with the Jawfish.

Carey- I'm glad your following along even though this tank is a bit smaller than my old 125g ! I am glad you are still interested

Spechty37- Thanks for following!

Good news everyone! I purchased the Bio-Cube and stand tonight! I am so very excited to be back in the saltwater world! I have my freshwater drained, and will probably move that out of my room tomorrow. I hope to have the Bio-Cube completely setup with water and sand by Sunday at the very latest.

! Interestingly, it seems like Coralife bought the Bio-Cube from Oceanic, as that is what it says on the box!

Pictures will be up later tonight!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, the new biocubes are even better than they used to be. The top stays open with hinges now which was a MAJOR upgrade and you can add led strips inside the lighting hood. All good changes
Old 11-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Yep, the new biocubes are even better than they used to be. The top stays open with hinges now which was a MAJOR upgrade and you can add led strips inside the lighting hood. All good changes
Great! I am so excited.

I got the Cube and stand from my LFS for $389.60, which I thought was a great price since it was new!

Tags
29 gallon, bio, biocube, build, cube, red, redsea, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com