redsea's 29g BioCube Build #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everybody! As some of you know I have been planning to get a new saltwater tank, as I currently do not have any, and want to get back into the hobby. Originally, I wanted something bigger than 29g, but recently decided that was a poor idea because it would have to go in my basement (that is where my old 55g and 125g were). I realized that I really did not want to have tanks in the basement again, as I couldn't enjoy them very much, and they did not get all of their proper maintenance all the time (partly because they were so out of the way, and it was very difficult to get water down there for PWCs). I also realized that I wanted to keep things simple as far as equipment went.

Knowing all of these considerations, I decided that a 29g BioCube would be a perfect choice. The reason why its says #1 in the title is because I plan on hopefully purchasing another BioCube to go along with this one later down the road (I plan a lot in advance, LOL).

As for this tank, I obviously want fish, and would also like crabs, hermit crabs, shrimp, and maybe snails and feather dusters.

I know for a fact that I will have a pair of Clownfish, I am just not sure what kind of Clowns; there are so many these days! I also will have some Gobie(s) and maybe a Blenny. Right now, I would really like a Clown Goby and a "Pistol Shrimp Pairing" Goby in the tank. I have never really had the opportunity to witness this symbiotic relationship in my past tanks, and really would like to here. An additional idea I had was possibly a Jawfish, though I am aware they require a deep sandbed. Furthermore, Firefish are very appealing to me!

Invert-wise I will be purchasing a Fire Shrimp and Cleaner Shrimp(s).

That is all for now, thanks! :dance:

I should be making some progress very soon! I need to give my freshwater fish and plants to my LFS, shut down the freshwater, and then purchase the Bio-Cube. My LFS has the Bio-Cubes for $250.00, which I think is the best price I have ever seen! Furthermore, the stand is $150.00. I really think I will have this new tank within a week! Woohoo! It is about time! :-D

Should be a pretty smooth journey as long as you don't want to keep corals. I personally don't like the stock biocube lighting but I also am an sps nut so yeah. The stock PCs are good for softies and most lps and maybe some montipora. But as far as your fish they all sound like they would be compatable in any combination except for the jawfish. They can get quite nasty especially with gobys. Also here is a pic of my tiger goby/tiger pistol shrimp pair. I love watching them and have a bunch of like 5-10 min videos of them. If yoh would be interested in watching them I could upload them to youtube and post a link

Should be a pretty smooth journey as long as you don't want to keep corals. I personally don't like the stock biocube lighting but I also am an sps nut so yeah. The stock PCs are good for softies and most lps and maybe some montipora. But as far as your fish they all sound like they would be compatable in any combination except for the jawfish. They can get quite nasty especially with gobys. Also here is a pic of my tiger goby/tiger pistol shrimp pair. I love watching them and have a bunch of like 5-10 min videos of them. If yoh would be interested in watching them I could upload them to youtube and post a link
I'd like to watch the shrimp and goby friends :)

Here's that pic

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131110_174115.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131110_174115.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 486
I wish my pistols and gobys would show there face I have to almost stick the food under the rock there under because I'm afraid they will starve. Also they can move some serious sand they got my rocks all messed up so take that into consideration. Following along

Here's that pic

Thanks for posting, how interesting! I would love to see a video if you have one. :) Also, thanks for the help with the Jawfish. :)

Carey- I'm glad your following along even though this tank is a bit smaller than my old 125g :lol:! I am glad you are still interested

Spechty37- Thanks for following! :)

Good news everyone! I purchased the Bio-Cube and stand tonight! I am so very excited to be back in the saltwater world! I have my freshwater drained, and will probably move that out of my room tomorrow. I hope to have the Bio-Cube completely setup with water and sand by Sunday at the very latest. :)

! Interestingly, it seems like Coralife bought the Bio-Cube from Oceanic, as that is what it says on the box!

Pictures will be up later tonight!

:thanks:

Yep, the new biocubes are even better than they used to be. The top stays open with hinges now which was a MAJOR upgrade and you can add led strips inside the lighting hood. All good changes

Yep, the new biocubes are even better than they used to be. The top stays open with hinges now which was a MAJOR upgrade and you can add led strips inside the lighting hood. All good changes

Great! I am so excited.

I got the Cube and stand from my LFS for $389.60, which I thought was a great price since it was new! :dance:

Last edited:
Not bad, you could have searched for weeks to get a better deal, least you have it now and can begin the work. lol

So many fish are great in that cube, gonna be hard to pick just a few. ;-)

Not bad, you could have searched for weeks to get a better deal, least you have it now and can begin the work. lol

So many fish are great in that cube, gonna be hard to pick just a few. ;-)

It will indeed be difficult! I definitely want the pair of Clowns, but other than those two, I am not quite sure. At the LFS today I saw a pair of Midnight Clowns which were breathtaking! Completely jet-black, with one having a bit of orange on the mouth.

I feel like I should be pretty prepared with this aquarium since I had that 34g Red Sea Max for the longest time. Remember that one? I had quite the adventures with that guy!

I am thinking that I am going to set the tank up how it comes, and will decide later down the road if I need to change anything. :)

I actually lied in the past post, LOL. The tank was actually $389.60. :lol:

For simplicity sake I would get the media racks from intank at least. That will give you the option of running whatever floats your boat and its much better filtration than the single cartridge filter thing. lol

For simplicity sake I would get the media racks from intank at least. That will give you the option of running whatever floats your boat and its much better filtration than the single cartridge filter thing. lol

Did you use the wet-dry part too?

Not sure if this matters for filtration, but I am not sure I will be keeping corals with this tank. I am thinking I will keep it fairly simple, but will make up for corals with some inverts like crab and shrimp. :) FOWCAS (Fish Only With Crabs And Shrimp). :lol:

Even with a "FOWCAS" system, lol, I would still add the media rack. Just makes water changes and maintenance so much easier. You also wont get nitrate issues if you remove the bioballs. They tend to catch a lot of crap that floats around the tank and will just build up and muck up your parameters. Just my opinion though. :)

Even with a "FOWCAS" system, lol, I would still add the media rack. Just makes water changes and maintenance so much easier. You also wont get nitrate issues if you remove the bioballs. They tend to catch a lot of crap that floats around the tank and will just build up and muck up your parameters. Just my opinion though. :)

Thanks!

OHHH, so the fuge and bio ball compartments are already separate, right? So if I got the media basket, I could still the use the refugium part?

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom