Reducing clown aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got a blue reef chromis that came out of QT today and my female clown has decided that he is her personal punching bag. Is this a temporary thing or is she just going to be rotten and evil the entire time he is in the tank?

Is there anything I can do to stop it?

How big is the tank?

If she doesn't stop you can try rearranging the rocks cause if it a smaller tank she may that that all of it is her territory.

i also have a mean sebae clownfish female and she immediately bullies all new species to my tank. i added 4 cleaner shrimp and she automatically ate 2 of them, and she killed my spotted damsel i just got. my tank is 75 gals.

Last edited:
Clownfish are a damsel fish so they can be aggressive especially species like the maroon clowns

It's currently a 20g tank. I wouldn't have bought the chromis to stick in my 20 but my lfs has a really difficult time getting them in and this was the last he has plus its a really small one. I figured it would be okay because my 40b will be ready in a month or so but guess I made the wrong choice. The clowns are ocellaris clowns.

Do you guys think it would help if I removed the clowns for a week or so and put them in the qt since its still set up?

Can you rearrange the rock work? My occelaris are only aggressive to each other never seem aggression to other fish

Can you rearrange the rock work? My occelaris are only aggressive to each other never seem aggression to other fish

I can try but even in a tank as small as mine its a big undertaking hehe. And my clowns have never shown aggression.. ever. Except for when I upgraded my lights and turned on just my blues. Then my female occelaris went all Jeffrey dahmer on the male.. I kind of felt bad for him.

Yea my female will not stand being next to the nale when the lights are one but when there off there like inseparable. I feel sorry for my male as well sometimes she really goes for him.

Yea my female will not stand being next to the nale when the lights are one but when there off there like inseparable. I feel sorry for my male as well sometimes she really goes for him.

It's funny. My female loves the male in my tank and they are inseparable. But when I turn just the blue lights on the male looks like a difference fish and she goes into murder mode.

Well after a few days my clown seems to have gotten it out of her system. Guess she just wanted to be bossy for a little while. The chromis is still kind of afraid to come out of hiding though.

Well after a few days my clown seems to have gotten it out of her system. Guess she just wanted to be bossy for a little while. The chromis is still kind of afraid to come out of hiding though.

Yay. They normally arnt so agressive they kill other fish

The Chromis will reappear soon enough. My snowflake clown beat the ever loving daylights outta my maroon and yellow for a solid month. Then finally she stopped. I dont think ive witnessed an episode with them in the past 3 months

Back
Top Bottom