Reducing nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, I know the biggest, fastest way to eliminate/reduce nitrate is with PWC.

I have about 45 pounds of LR in a 75g tank (85g total system). I know I need at least 1 to 1.5 pounds per gallon for the LR to handle nitrates. That's not in my budget at the moment (saving to build a new home).

I'm looking for a shorter term solution to reduce nitrate build-up.

I clean filters, sponges, etc., almost daily of debris.

I'm using a CSS125 skimmer, pulling 3/4 a cup a day of dark skimmate.

I don't overfeed, and there's rarely a bit of food that goes uneaten right away, what gets missed is eaten by the cleanup crew.

I have two small batches of chaeto each about the size of a baseball or slightly smaller - one in the sump/fuge, one in a small breeder-type container in the display tank.

I have two PC reflector-type lights (150 watts total) over the sump/fuge, and the small breeder thing is directly under my 265w light hood. The chaeto doesn't seem to be growing, in fact some of it is even browning a bit. So, the chaeto doesn't seem to be assisting at all with nitrate reduction.

Are there any filter pads, or media that I can put in my HOB filter, which can eliminate nitrates, without affecting ammonia or nitrite levels? I want my biological filtration to handle those. I haven't had an ammonia or nitrite reading in 2 months, and I want to keep it that way.

Any suggestions are great!

your chaeto shouldnt be clumped up in the "breeder thing". It should be spread out and then it will grow. you can pick up different types of macro algae as well. You have alot of fish for so little filtration. You need to either do more water changes, increase filtration or get rid of some fish.

There isn't enough of it to be cramped in the breeder - its a small ball of it. I'll put it back in the fuge, I was previously concerned I didn't have enough light so it can spread out. I think I have enough light on the fuge now too.

I do have another emperor filter, a single bio-wheel. I don't see myself getting rid of any fish, so I'll see if I have room to add the second filter.

But more filtration isn't going to neccessarily remove nitrate - but it would help remove organic waste, which would cut down on how fast it grows, right?

Back
Top Bottom