Reef+ angels= ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philly

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 90 gal. with LR and fish i was wondering if it would be okay to get either a Bicolour or a Flame or a Coral Beauty

What kind of fish?

Getting a dwarf angel and having soft polyped corals can be a gamble. Some specific angels will snack on your corals every chance they get where as other angels of the same species will leave them alone.

No angles are considered 100% reef-safe. The dwarf angels like the coral beauty, flame etc.. have been kept in reefs without problems, but not always the case. I have a coral beauty and it does not bother a thing. I just rid of my flame angel because it destroyed one of my xenia colonies (it is now coming back great!). You just never know, I think over time they will all look to your corals for a snack between meals.

See thats the point. You coudl get a coral beauty, lemon peel, flame angel, etc and non of them eat your corals. After years of sucess the fish might pass away and you get a replacment and the only thing that angel will eat are your corals.

Each angel has the potental to make the corals a meal its just if they find them apitizing or not. I had a friend who had 3 flame angels and only 1 of them found his corals tasty. Of course that was the flame that survived the longest aswell. :|

Its a gamble that you can take. If you get the angel before the corals then you can acclomate them to a reef by slowly adding corals and seeing over time how the angel reacts.

I am now in the "better safe then sorry" camp. I lost a ton of xenia and had to completely tear down my reef to get my flame angel out. It is a gamble I will not take again.

my cb was the last thing i added to the the tank. all my corals had already be growing really good when she was put in.

It's like a ticking timebomb if you ask me... if only we could tap them on the nose everytime till they learned not to do it, lol :lol:

are there any equally beutiful and interesting fish that are reef safe besides tangs, clowns, wrasses?

Head over to liveaquaria.com and take a look at their pics/profiles for marine fish.

Back
Top Bottom