Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think the reason I'm not getting a reading is there is no shock anymore, I tried doing the same thing as before touching the water and fixture with my hand at the same time and no shock, what the heck is going on

Old 11-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it isn't happening every time check your heater. Turn it on then test it.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Agreed.

Check a piece of equipment that turns off an on like stuff on timers or thermometer.

A heater is a good place to start.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good idea
Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok it's not the heater. And it just happened again. When I put the voltmeter in the water or on the fixture it gives mr nothing for a reading. I put the positive probe in the water and the negative probe in the ground outlet. Still shows me no reading. What am I doin wrong. Is there something else I can ground on
Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok guys I figured it out. Thank for all your help. It wasn't grounding. And it is the light fixture. Any ideas on where to start looking
Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it is intermittent, it is most likely a loose connection. In my opinion, you wont find it using a tester. The better way is the GFCI because it works by checking current flow on the ground and is extremely sensitive. By plugging things in one at a time you can tell which one trips the GFI. My bet is it is the light fixture or a pump. Because it is intermittent, it most likely is something that has vibration or gets moved around which causes the loose connection to touch metal. It isn't a dead short or it would be tripping the breaker in the electrical panel. It is something that is most likely bleeding a small amount of current through the insulation. If it were direct wire to metal contact you would see an arc and the breaker should trip. Since that isn't happening it is a small current flow and the meter will not pick it up unless you spent about $500 on the meter. Again, this is what I have learned in 30+ years in electrical construction and maintenance.

Hope it helps.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
How old is the fixture? If it is reasonably new I would just get it replaced under warranty. If warranty is expired it would need to be checked out. You said its a 12 bulb, what kind of bulbs? If they are fluorescent I would check the terminals the bulbs clip into. If they are wet it may cause issues. Also pop te cover or covers and check the internal wiring. Look for corrosion and check the ground wire termination. Typically it's a green wire and is screwed directly to the case of the fixture. Make sure all connections are tight and dry. Also MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE FIXTURE WHILE DOING THIS. If thE issue is not here check the cord end going into the wall and verify the ground prong is there and not broken off. If this didnt find the problem let us know and we will help dig a little deeper.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi i have had this problem before,and still do on one of my tanks What happens is i put me hand in the water and all is OK! But if my arm connects with the light reflector i get a lovely tingling sensationso now i basically just make sure i do not touch the reflector...........
I think what happens is the light starter gets very slightly damp due to being very close to the tank so it sets up a 'live' feed to anything that touches anywhere near the lights.
Footnote this is only a minor problem on my tank so do not ignore if its more than just a tingling sensation! Remember water and electric are a very bad combination!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
There is a nearly identical thread to this, reef aquarium electricuting me (the spelling is wrong but thats how the OP spelled it) Search it and follow along.

Tags
reef, reef aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com