Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Just noticed its your thread lol

Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lol. I won't get the chance to take apart till tomorrow now. It is defenetly the light. It's an aquatic life that I bought in february. And I will be checking the warranty. And it's kind of hard not to touch the fixture when you are in the tank. The tank is 18 inch wide and the light has got to be 12 or 14 inch wide. If warranty doesn't cover it will it help if I just wrap everything in electrical tape. If it's just bad insulation I do t know if I will ever be a ble to find where it is coming through. There is wire everywhere under those reflector covers. Also doesn't seem to be any moisture at all. There is two protective covers between the lights and the tank

Old 11-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Taping it up is not something I would recommend. While the tape should be rated for 600V for each layer, if it is not stretched tight water may work it's way along the seams and negate the insulating qualities. If I were you, I would wiggle each wire termination and see if the wire comes off or feels like it is not connected good. That is the most likely location. If all the wire connections are good and you don't see any obvious problem, I would definitely go to the manufacturer and tell them it is shocking you and needs to be replaced under warranty. It should have at least a 1 year warranty.

For both you and the other poster who says he just doesn't touch the light when his hands are in the water I would advice that the problem be corrected. Electricity and water do not mix well with the human body. It takes one milliamp at one millivolt across the heart to stop it. You are dealing with 120 volts at up to 16 amps. That is why GFCI protection is advisable on the power source for aquarium equipment. It will trip at 5 milliamps.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I agree, tape isn't really a solution. I would recommend calling the manufacturer first. If you do still have a warranty you will void it by opening the light up. If the warranty has expired then open it and check everything we have suggested.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok guys. Thank for all your help. I talked to aquatic life and they helped me figure out what was goin on. Long story short problem solved. Everyone was a great deal of help
Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqasnatch
Ok guys. Thank for all your help. I talked to aquatic life and they helped me figure out what was goin on. Long story short problem solved. Everyone was a great deal of help
What was it?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Come on now, we all got hooked on this thread and we want to know what it was. LOL Share the wealth.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I thought it was the light fixture because. When I put the voltmeter to the hood of the fixture I was getting a reading and when I unplugged it I was not getting a reading. I was putting the probes in the water and the hood, then when I unplugged the light fixture I would get no reading. As it would turn out that was because I was unplugging the ground, which makes sense, so after calling the guy from aquatic life an *** , he told me what was going on, but my probes were not long enough to go I to the ground of the outlet so I still used the hood of the light as my ground and started unplugging things 1 at a time again, turns out it was a crack in the glass in a heater. Lesson learned. Lol
Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always look at the heaters first then the powerheads because those are the 2 things that are in the water.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

That also explains why it didn't happen all the time since the heater turns off and on via a thermostat. I bet you were getting shocked when it was trying to heat. I'm glad you found the problem because although you said nothing in the tank seemed to be gettign harmed, it might end up eventually being bad enough to hurt things. I've had a couple of pumps seize and rupture and kill all my inverts. Not real fun.

Also (and I've made this mistake myself), "electrocution" is death by electric shock, not just electric shock.

Tags
reef, reef aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com