Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pls help. Getting eletricuted

So I'm doin work in my aquarium the other day and zap. Put my hand in the water again and nothing. Same thing happens today zap. Hand goes back in the water and nothin. So I notice when I touch the side of my light fixture when my hand is in the water I get electrocuted but if it's not in water nothing happens. Where do I look. How do I test, and what is goin on. Nothing in tank is dieing

Old 11-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reef aquarium is eletricuting me

K so my hand is. In the water the other day and I get zapped. Then today the same thing. I put my hand in the water and nothing. I notice that when my hand is in the water and touching the fixture at the same time that's when I get it. But if I just touch the fixture nothing. Ideas causes and solutions pls. I can't take it anymore. Hurts like I *****

Old 11-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Most likely you've got a short somewhere in your aquarium (could be on a heater, powerhead, etc.), and you're grounding yourself out on the light. Unplug each thing in your aquarium one at a time till you isolate the source.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do i test for it without using my body as the conducting rod. Like I said hurts.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Which "fixture" are you talking about.

You obviously have stray current in the tank. How electricity works is, you have to complete the path of travel to get zapped.

If you could levitate, and grab onto an open electrical wire, it wouldn't zap you because the current didn't travel through your body.

When you have your hand in the water, you are grounding yourself, meaning that the current flows through your body and into the tank. Without grounding yourself, if you grab the "fixture" you probably don't have a good enough ground to allow enough voltage to travel through you to get a good zap.

The way to fix this issue is to ground the fixture. Any stray current will then be removed through the ground, rather than through you when grounded.

Tell us what the fixture is first and we can try to figure out what the problem is with it. I would definitely unplug it until you figure this out as its dangerous.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqasnatch View Post
How do i test for it without using my body as the conducting rod. Like I said hurts like a mo fo
You can use a current tester, that will cut down on the pain.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Or yes, you have stray current in the tank and the light fixture is grounded.

Eitherway, get yourself a volt meter and put the probe in the water. Turn things off and on until you figure out which one is letting stray current into the tank.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

First thing I would do is go to a home improvement store and buy a GFCI protected adapter. Plug that into the wall then plug your equipment into that one at a time. The one that has a problem will trip the GFCI. Then replace the faulty equipment but leave the GFCI in line.

Let me back a bit first.....how old is the house? Does the wall outlet have a ground prong?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

FYI, I have been in the electrical trade for 30+ years.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's a 12 bulb aquatic life with built in fans and blue night led,s can I put the current meter right in the water to test it. And does that mean it is the fixture or just that I'm grounding on the fixture and getting zapped, also why does nothing in the tank seem affected

Tags
reef, reef aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com