reef cleaner packages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrpope

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, its been a long time since my last post. all has been well with the tank except for when I moved it recently I lost a potters angel, two cleaner shrimps, pink brittle star, and some bullseye mushrooms.

What I need is some advice on reef invert packages. Many internet based fish suppliers sell reef cleaner packages that come with all kinds of little janitors like hermits, snails, etc. Does anybody have some recommendations on who has the best/most efficient assortment?

Thanks, Brian

I ordered mine from LiveAquaria, and although I got what I paid for and I would certainly recommend them, I'm not real thrilled with the cleaner package in general. I find the crabs and snails to be more of a nuissance and really don't do much to clean the tank IMO.

The first time I ordered a cleanup crew I ordered them from www.reeftopia.com I was very very happy with what I got from them.

Just recently a group buy was done in NJ and we got a really great deal on inverts from Keys Critters. I was a little disappointed by the size of some of these snails, but that was probably my fault for not doing enough research.

Garf is charging your ~$3/(snail,hermit,crab). Way overpriced.

I haven't ordered any packages - just picked up a few snails/hermits here and there for $.75 each or whatever.

Dr.Nate, what type of snails/hermits/crabs did you get? Everything I have in my tank is super active - I need about 10 times the number I have tho...

I got mostly hermit crabs and turbo snails.....they're active, alright, I just don't think they help the "cleaning" much. I still have to mag-float the glass and stir up the sand bottom when I do, and it seems that I have to do it just as much as I used to! I've got about 20 or 30 hermits and about 10 snails.

What kind of turbo's do you have? Astrea or Mexican Turbos? The astreas in my tank tend to clean only the back glass... the large mexican turbos seem to clean all the algae off my rocks (they're a dream for hair algae). Occassionally I see them on the glass... but that doesn't really help with anything. The hermits are only going to clear out detritus and food that falls to the bottom of the tank -- they'll help keep your nitrates down -- which should prevent algae growth in a general sense.

I wouldn't say anything will help keep your glass clean other than skimming, UV, and carbon to prevent the algae from growing in the first place. Regardless, you'll have to clean your glass every couple days anyway.

I clean mine about ever 3-4 days (was about 7-9 days when I had fresh carbon and a new UV light).

If you want something to help clean your glass: order about 100 nassarius snails (the ones that are about a centimeter in size, and burrow in your sand during the day).

I would recommend reeftopia or saltwaterfish.com and instead of buying packages, pick what you want and "build your own"

Thanks Schoelpin! I do believe my turbos are astreas. And you're right, the hermits only get the stuff that falls to the bottom. The only other things my cleanup crew does is move my corals sometimes, and one time even pushed my leather off it's pedestal to the bottom of the tank. The snails are even strong enough to push some of my smaller live rocks off and create chaos. I'm starting to wish I didn't have a cleanup crew at all!

I think I'm lucky in that I only have to mag float my glass about once a week. Not too bad, really.

Maybe just my own observation, but I find mixing snails with crabs is counter productive..Unless you are the one selling these critters. The crabs have a nasty habit of yanking the snails out of thier shells if they get turned over (And they will) for a nice snack. I have no crabs in my 10g or 75g. Snails only and I have had far longer survival rates. It gives me enough time to turn over any snails that are unable to right themselves without having to worry with crabs getting to them 1st. astrea are the worst, with margaritas in 2nd place and turbos in 3rd. (least to most likely to right themselves) However, astreas seem to be the most tolerant of temp/sg changes. Whatever you decide, I would try some snails first and see how it goes before you dump a but load of $$ into a 'cleaner package'. Consider also, you may not want some of the other critters that come with some packages. Read up on all animals they want to send you bfore hand..

GL!

etropicals.com has a good build your own cleaner packages. at least i thought it looked pretty good that way u don't get all the un wanted stuff. or at least stuff you don't want

Back
Top Bottom