Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2004, 01:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

reef compatable?

I just bought a new tank with lr and ls...it was a used tank. Here's the situation. I have 3 crabs in there, one dark greenish-blue, one orange, one red...I have coral that I am going to put in the tank. Do these new tankmates have to go or should they be okay? How can identify what type of crabs they are?

Old 05-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

it is my understanding that most crabs are not reef safe.
good luck,
Mermaid

Old 05-26-2004, 01:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thats what I thought...man this is going to be difficult...its a 150...and we spend half a day arranging the rocks...wish me luck. Anyone out there got a good tip on catching the little guys???

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=24799

Try the jar trick that reefrunner suggested
Old 05-26-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks guys!

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 05-26-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I caught one...for the meantime, can I put him in my qt tank? It's been thourally cleaned out after I used copper but may have some traces and then I am treating with formalin right now with 2 fish???

Old 05-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

nevermind, got a better idea for em!

Old 05-26-2004, 04:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Whats the idea? ?
Old 05-26-2004, 04:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol, naw...my husband took over the 55, it's all set up, no fish yet. So when he calls tonight I'll see if he wants me to put em in his tank...I got all but one so far

Old 05-26-2004, 05:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have crabs all over my reef tank (porcelain, sally light foot, decorator and a couple others i don't know the names of) and they are doing fine. i have colt coral, xenia, feather dusters and a clam. i would watch them for a while before you get rid of them. take a pic of them send it to the guy at live rocks.com (sorry i forgot the name) he explained to me that most of the crabs i got from there rocks are reef safe.

hth

mark

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com