Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm going to move over to just two part dosing. I have the stuff just havent mixed it up in the jugs yet.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry for the thread hijack,, but Carey, grab a couple of BRS dosers and add them to your RK. Once you mix your solutions you need to test how many cc's you need to add/day to maintain. Then set the dosers to run for however many minutes each needs to equal that volume. Much easier than dosing Kalk (IMO).

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, cmor, thats the plan. I didn't find the kalk to be all it was cracgked upt o be so 2 part is the way to go. I think I have the amounts needed for the calcium and alkalinity parts somewhere around here lol. My magnesium always seems to be good. I bought the BRS jugs with the dispensing pumps just havent actually mixed any yet.

According to BRS I can dose that amount in a single dose, leaving some time between Ca and ALk doses. Woudl that work as well or is there a reason why that isnt recommended?

Thanks as always!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so now why dose? Like should I start looking into this I only have two coral pieces right now but want to get a lot more
Old 02-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

@acolotto, No need for you to dose yet. NEVER DOSE ANYTHING YOU DON'T TEST FOR! (That's #2 on my reef tank rules). Until you find that Ca and Alk are dropping faster than a normal PWC can keep up with there is no need to dose either Ca or Alk. So test weekly especially as you add corals and they grow, and keep up with PWC's.

@Carey, I have those same jugs and pumps, but find that I need a daily dose. Much easier to have the doser pumps turn on for 20 - 30 minutes during the night and drop 1.1 mL per minute into the sump. Nice and slow so no coral gets an Alk or Coral mass dose. That can happen when you use the jug pumps. With the Alk you will notice a cloud spread out and cover a few corals before dissipating. Does it do any harm? I can't say for sure. But the slower dosing from dosers make me feel better about it.

I got some jug caps and drilled a hole just large enough for the tubing from the doser to fit through. One of them is such a tight fit that the jug compresses and caves in during the month. I just made the hole slightly larger last month.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That sounds liek you have it all figured out. I kinda wish I could afford the dosing pumps now but it's just not viable right now. My membrane is going on my ro/di unit so thats first on my list for next weeks group buy. lol

Yep, I was thinking I would have to daily dose the 2 part, when I do dose I go really really slow when I add it to the sump. I do see that cloud your talking about and to be honest I think it's bad. I had two corals right in front of the return that either died or was close to dying. I lost my ora Hwakins SPS and my birdsnest is just about dead, looking a little better but it I don't have high hopes. I kinda attributed it to the kalk dosing. :-(

Is there any way I can use some other kind of pump to dispense the dosing liquid? I know it's probably not a good idea, but would aqualifter pumps work at all? The only thing is they do I think 1.5 gallons an hour.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
That sounds liek you have it all figured out. I kinda wish I could afford the dosing pumps now but it's just not viable right now. My membrane is going on my ro/di unit so thats first on my list for next weeks group buy. lol

Sorry off topic but quick question. How do you know if membrane bad???? Just time? Aprox 5 years is what I think I remember reading when got my RO DI.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think an aqualifter is 3.5gph with 0 head loss
Old 02-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's more like a year but depends on how much it's used. Use s tds meter to check.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats how I know the membrane is going, I'm starting to read TDS AND phosphates. You should test your ro/di water every once in awhile if you can. A tds meter is really cheap too, I paid like $9 on ebay for one and you'll need it.

Tags
controller, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com