Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Reef Conversion Plan

I have owned a FOWLR tank for about 5 months that is well established and its levels are stable. The question is, how do I go reef? I have planned on getting 2 taotronics dimmable tt-al09 but I am open to ideas, and for additives I'm probably getting reef code a+b. What is a good brand for calcium and alkalinity tests? I have api for the other tests but I'm not satisfied. Last question is what is a good model for a HOB skimmer? Thanks everyone!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are plenty skimmers on bulk reef supply and some might hang on back buy I heard you usually get a skimmer fitted for twice your tank size. I have a 30 and was recommend something fitted for a 60 or if I wanted to keep sps 80 or 90g. You would need 1-2 pounds of live rock or dry rock per gallon and salt recommended for a reef and or salt that has essential elements. what corals do you want softies, sps, lps ?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

In the beginning I'm going to start with softies and then slowly get more different types. What are good suggestions for beginner corals? I have about 1.2 lbs/gallon of rock right now.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can get zoanthids and ricordea or regular mushrooms. I don't recommend Yuma mushrooms because those melt very easy. I started out with mushrooms and 3 out of the 5 mushroom polyps melted because I put them in the middle column of my tank. 1 turned white s melted right away .The other 2 melted slowly over a course of 1 week and a half. If you also think your ready for it you can also try leather corals which are softies and most are easy too keep. But mushrooms and zoanthids are more fore giving. One thing you defiantly don't want to do is put any softies or any coral period in the middle or top of your fish tank Column right away. Most corals depend on light and they have to not only get a custom to your parameters such as temp, ph, and salinity but lighting also This I believe is called photo acclimation.

If you want websites to choose from just Let me know also.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Duncans, mushrooms, zoas. Xenia & green star polyps too, but watch out as they can take over. Really hard to kill xenia. Mine have been through a lot.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
Duncans, mushrooms, zoas. Xenia & green star polyps too, but watch out as they can take over. Really hard to kill xenia. Mine have been through a lot.
That good for me too know might think about getting an Xenia
Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Softies like Xenia, GSP and other octocorals encrust on things, so have some rock fragments for them to cover, then you can remove the fragments and sell them when you need to thin the coral patch.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voshon247 View Post
You can get zoanthids and ricordea or regular mushrooms. I don't recommend Yuma mushrooms because those melt very easy. I started out with mushrooms and 3 out of the 5 mushroom polyps melted because I put them in the middle column of my tank. 1 turned white s melted right away .The other 2 melted slowly over a course of 1 week and a half. If you also think your ready for it you can also try leather corals which are softies and most are easy too keep. But mushrooms and zoanthids are more fore giving. One thing you defiantly don't want to do is put any softies or any coral period in the middle or top of your fish tank Column right away. Most corals depend on light and they have to not only get a custom to your parameters such as temp, ph, and salinity but lighting also This I believe is called photo acclimation.

If you want websites to choose from just Let me know also.
Thanks, i too will be looking into soft corals after the summer.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Marcelo View Post

Thanks, i too will be looking into soft corals after the summer.
No problem just glad too help any other questions this would probably be the topic too ask.

Tags
conversion, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com