Reef crystals recall warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
Just got off phone with instant ocean/pet group inc

I was having major Ph issues
they told me to stop use immediately
something got in the mix that causes PH to drop drastically
they have had many complaints with this issue and I wasn't the only one

they said they would notify me once they resolve the issue

just figured I would pass along this info in-case other fellow reefers use this mix also (y)

thank god I haven't lost any live stock

Any other info? I have a unopened bag for the reef I just started and curious if mine is bad also.

Crap. Are they going to refund you for this? I better check mine just to be safe

Woooow... Talk about a major F up. This could be potentially nuking tanks across America :x I wonder what they will do to make up for it. Especially for any farmers or suppliers that may be using their product with potentially 10s-100s of thousands worth of livestock at risk...

Time to change salt brands I guess hearing lots of bad things about Io lately. Any one used Salinity by seachem?

After doing some googling & searching other forums, seems like RC may have had some issues for a while now....... Lots of posts out there regarding errant calc/alk readings over the past couple years, not just recently. A lot of those seem to have been blown off to other potential causes (which is possible), but many of the older complaints are matching up with current issues.

I think if it was a major recall and issues, there would have been postings on major suppliers web sites. Too easy to blame the salt for parameter problems when we see a recall. Would not panic.

I also emailed them this morning. I haven't heard back from them yet. I tried to call them but they said the wait time was over 30 minutes so I hung up.

OscarFan76 said:
I also emailed them this morning. I haven't heard back from them yet. I tried to call them but they said the wait time was over 30 minutes so I hung up.

Well I imagine their customer service is swamped right now with worried customers :x

wonder if salt mix could cause a problem with nitrates as well??? ran out of regular instant ocean about 3 weeks ago and bought a box of IO reef crystals since that was all they had....have been having trouble with trates ever since then...never had a problem before that and I do pwc every week with the same water since starting tank :confused:

angeladawng said:
wonder if salt mix could cause a problem with nitrates as well??? ran out of regular instant ocean about 3 weeks ago and bought a box of IO reef crystals since that was all they had....have been having trouble with trates ever since then...never had a problem before that and I do pwc every week with the same water since starting tank :confused:

Unless the salt mix got polluted with something that produced nitrates it shouldn't be creating any. I think somebody messed up on the mix at the factory. I use reef crystals religiously, but may go to Red Sea for a while until this blows over.

I havent noticed any difference in my 29G that i use RC on.. only difference has been good ones... and i just started my 90G tank and im using RC for that as well.. so hopefully its all good... i agree with HolyGral tho. its one of those things where once u hear this information about a recall.. you automatically start to blame everything thats going wrong in your tank on the salt mix... im not saying its definitely NOT the salt mix but who knows... i havent had any issues with my batches yet.. Hope everyones livestock survives that is affected..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom