Reef Crystals salt smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm switching from IO to RC. IO had absolutely no smell but yesterday I opened my first bucket of RC and noticed it had a slight smell to it. Is that normal?

TIA

I've been trying to place the smell, I've smelled something like it before but can't quite figure out what it is. I'm mixing a batch now (about 25 gallons), and when I walk into the room I can smell it just faintly. I guess "vitamin" is a pretty good description.
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad batch or something. Sounds like it is normal. Thanks.

Yup... all the RC I've used has a "smell." Personally, I think it smells like... well... salt. It's so fine though, it gets airborne with very little disturbance and I think the fact that it's coating your nostrils makes it smell even more! I know the first time I mixed some up, I was breathing through my mouth. Wrong idea. I was really surprised how quick the salt taste hit my tongue.

I just switched, but I opened my RC in my garage, so I didn't notice a smell, other than salty....

Back
Top Bottom