Reef Filtration questions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been told so many conflicting things by all the LFS regarding what I need to properly filter a reef system. I've heard everything from just LR and DSB to multiple canister filters w/ sump/ protein skimmer etc. In your opinion, what is the best way to to this??? Below is my current set up...

72 Gallon bow front
2 inch live sand bed
25- 40 lbs. of live rock
35- 50 lbs. of misc. lace rock
Fluval 304 w/ snazzy surface skimmer

2 green cromis 1 inch
2 scooter blennies 1.5 - 2.0 inch
1 Sand sifting gobbie 4 inch
1 Butterfly 2.5 inch
1 yellow wrasse 1inch
1 purple nudibrach 3 inch
4 peppermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp large
1 Small white bubble coral
1 med. frog spawn coral
1 small green polyp coral
Several small mushroom corals
Handful of hermit crabs/ snails
Partridge in a pear tree (kidding)

Every thing seems to be doing great. All the fish are eating corals look strong and heathy. I just have a feeling after talking with others that I should have a different filtration set up.

Thanks for ay advice,
Calvin

Calvin, There are so many ways of doing things successfully with aquairums and just as many ways to be unsuccessful. If what your doing is sucessful why change it?

Many of us run our tanks with just live rock, a dsb and a skimmer. Some of us dont even us a skimmer. To me about the onlything your missing would be a skimmer from your system.

If you wanted a DSB then you would have to double the depth of the sand bed. If your live rock weights are correct and are on the low end then you could deal with some more live rock if you where using the live rock for filtration. If your live rock is toward the higher side of your esitmates then you have plenty of LR for your filtration.

How long has the lace rock been in the system? If its been more than a few months then it might as well be classified live aswell.

Back
Top Bottom