Reef in Progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b.jent10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just thought I would share my 29g reef tank. Still in the process of finishing it, so any tips or suggestions are always welcome.
Stocking so far
-purple firefish
-mccoskers flasher wrasse
-signal goby
-two spot blenny
-porcelain crab
-2 nassarius snails

20 lbs of live rock, 20 lbs of live sand, H.O.T magnum hob canister and a t5 HO light.

image-1064035943.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Looks nice - love my firefish - is your tank covered? If not both the firefish and wrasse are known jumpers, so you may wanna put a screen.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I plan on getting more snails and live rock for sure. I will probably pull some more nassarius snails from my 180 salt tank. And I really wanna keep it clean, so I gotta search for the right rock lol And no worries, it's definitely covered. I haven't had any problems with them jumping yet, but keep your fingers cross. I'm thinking about adding a cherub angel, some shrimp (haven't decided what kind yet) and some coral. Probably some zoas and some softies.

no way would i put 10 nassarius snails in a 29 gallon tank. you'll have to add food just for them. you only have 20 pounds of sand. they will starve to death.

I'm not done tweaking. I want to add more sand. I like deep sand beds. And algae in my tank is crazy right now, so I think a couple more snails wouldn't hurt.

If your going to do a dsb I would recommend oolitic. It has more surface area for denitrification. With a dsb you can't disturb it. So you can only vaccum the top layer. With a courser substrate decaying organically will work their way into the sand bed, and probably cause more nitrates than it takes out.

I have 20 nassarius snails in my 29g but I love those guys so I dont mind feeding them. I also only have like 4 hermits, and maybe 5 other snails so my crew is kinda small. lol

Those snails emerging from the sand to eat is just an awesome sight, I still look forward to it every time I feed. :)

Just gotta remember that the nassarius dont eat algae so you'll get no cleaning up of that if you add them.

Back
Top Bottom