Reef keeping and the impact it does?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent idea! I know that a couple of suppliers get their LR after major storms go through fiji and rip the reef up. How true that is I don't know but I like to think that is the case. One of the DSC or NGC shows I watched on reefs showed the collecting of LR and they were, at least on the show, collecting the rock that had been broken away from the main reef.

From all the documentaries I've watched and articles I've read, there isn't a silver bullet that's impacting reefs. It's been (and is):

- Global warming
- Sediment run-off from irresponsible farming (even if they don't know better, they should)
- The hobby (irresponsible collection / lack of captive breeding)
- Tourism
- "Natural" factors, such as the over population of some hard plague like corals

Ironically however, tourism is touted as one of the best ways of educating people to play their small, but very important part, in reef conservation. The more people see and appreciate the beauty and scientific benefits of coral reefs, and actively do something to sustain it, the better off mankind will be. An example is that proteins in some corals are used in the treatment of HIV AIDS.

Whenever possible I prefer to take captive bred fish, among other smaller, responsible use of resources.

I know we all really appreciate and care for our tanks and the animals we keep. But what about the electricity we use to run our tanks? Producing electricity seems to be a pretty dirty process, for the most part. It is connected, at least partly, to global warming. I think we all agree GW'ing is affecting the environment, especially fragile ecosystems like reefs. I guess this thread kind of got me thinking more about this lately, and the role I play. Personally, and my case may be a little more extreme than many, running 720 watts of lighting, and an additional 19 watt CF bulb on my fuge, for 10-12+ hours daily just does not seem very eco-friendly, let alone the added draw of pumps and heaters. Just a thought I've been kicking around in my head, and I'm interested to see if anyone else has any thoughts about it...

Minor thread drift to address Mike's comment... The very fact we're living and breathing on this planet, effects it - one way or another. If you're making a living... or just trying to... you most likely are creating a net negative impact on the environment. While I don't doubt GW and its effects, I in no way think the earth itself is in any danger. OUR way of life might be, and unfortunately the fate of a bunch of critters that we'll probably snuff out before we figure things out, but the earth itself will go on being the earth with or without us!

With that said though, I still think it's our duty to do whatever we can to reduce our carbon footprint on this planet, and minimize our impact. If you feel you're using more electricity than average, than do something to help offset that. Ride your bike to work, or carpool, or donate money to places trying to develop alternative power sources, or go grab your hamburger at the counter instead of idling the car in the drive-through! Every little bit helps.

Reducing our footprint can work with our hobby too! As mentioned earlier, aquacultured corals or tank raised fish are obvious answers. But raising public awareness is probably even better. In the short time I've had my tank, everyone that's seen it have walked away with a new respect for the ocean. Most have never even seen a coral, and just think they're dead skeletons - they have no idea they're living things. The biodiversity of the oceans - much of it still unknown, it seems - is totally amazing. And by raising awareness, even on an individual level - friend by friend - we can give people something real to think about when they hear news stories about "reef destruction." Once people see what it is they're actually destroying, it makes it all that much harder to destory it.

MT79 said:
I know we all really appreciate and care for our tanks and the animals we keep. But what about the electricity we use to run our tanks? Producing electricity seems to be a pretty dirty process, for the most part. It is connected, at least partly, to global warming. I think we all agree GW'ing is affecting the environment, especially fragile ecosystems like reefs. I guess this thread kind of got me thinking more about this lately, and the role I play. Personally, and my case may be a little more extreme than many, running 720 watts of lighting, and an additional 19 watt CF bulb on my fuge, for 10-12+ hours daily just does not seem very eco-friendly, let alone the added draw of pumps and heaters. Just a thought I've been kicking around in my head, and I'm interested to see if anyone else has any thoughts about it...

Hi Mike. In AU we have the option to choose "Green Electricity" which means it's a zero carbon output. They do it by wind, solar, etc. I _think_ they may do it also by carbon offset too.. i.e. they plant trees around the place to offset the carbon from electricity generation.

I was thinking, like flanque said, maybe you can looking into solar power units. I really don't know anything about them, but there are companies around here that specialize in alternative electicity. Maybe you can give them a call, Mike. :)

flanque said:
they plant trees around the place to offset the carbon from electricity generation.
I just read an interesting article about that in Time magazine. According to it, that falls short of much accomplishment. Besides taking years to grow, additional trees will actually heat the earth further. In short, I forget most of the specifics, they trap heat in their leaves, etc, and that adds to the heat already being trapped. Basically in the end we just need to cut emissions of greenhouse gases etc.
I really like the idea of being able to choose Green Electricity. AFAIK it's not something available in the US. If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.
Kurt_Nelson said:
If you feel you're using more electricity than average, than do something to help offset that
I don't feel I "consume" more than anyone else(in fact I rarely ever drive). I just feel there is a contradiction w/ reefs and conservation, at this point in time. Besides the large amounts of energy consumed, animals whose survival rates in captivity are dismal are readily available to hobbyist, usually new hobbyist, who don't know better. I just saw a chart on the threats to reefs in Florida, and was surprised to see the aquarium trade listed as "high". The threats were rated low, moderate, high, and severe, so that's almost at the top of the list. While it may not be the only or largest contributor to destruction, it apparently plays a part even in the US where I would think laws are strictest and most often enforced. I'm not ready to give up my reef though, and as you said it is always nice to see someone literally walk away from your tank w/ a different perspective on reef organisms and their importance and beauty. I think running a tank gives the owner a good perspective on just how fragile reefs are.

I don't know whether it is an option to choose green elec vs. another source but I do know that you can buy solar panels that are far more effecient then those we saw pop up in the 70s and 80s, My wife and I are very interested in doing this when we build our house. I've even thought about looking into a wind trubine for power. I would much rather get my energy from the sun and wind then pay a power company that is not reliable or cost effective! My house hould does not burn normal bulbs we use the CF bubls in all of our lamps and light fixtures, we also heat our house with a wood stove in the winter. As for the summer we do use the AC but that is out of "have to" it's just too dang hot in this house without the AC. All in all we conserve a great deal of power through energy effecient appliances and the use of the new CF bulbs. Even my reef tank I'm working on making it more effecient by getting rid of PHs that use 20+watts each and replacing them with the Nano Stream or Koralia which use 7watts.

I'll look into the wind power generators and let you guys know what I find out. I expect they are expensive but pay for themselves over time!

My brother in law purchased a house about five years ago, built it actually, with solar for hot water heating and he said it's almost always requires supplementary electricity. Remember I'm in AU where we have a lot of sun. It does generate electricity but the cost benefit of install costs was the primary concern.

I don't expect solar panels to be a primary source of power, as you would need WAY too many to make it work for a whole house. I would like to have some solar power to supplement or perhaps run my reef tank that I will be putting in our house when we build. Of course I am talking about a large tank in the 500gallon range, but that is still a few years away.

I do know of a couple of farms not far from me that run entirely on wind generated power. There was an article in the paper a couple of years ago when the guy put the turbines up. Not all of it was good as they aren't the prettiest things to look at. I'll have to see if I can find that article on the net.

MT79 said:
[
I really like the idea of being able to choose Green Electricity. AFAIK it's not something available in the US. If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

It depends on your local utility, I believe. Up here in the Pacific NW, we can choose to add $$ to our power bill for the purchase of "green" energy... mainly windpower. We're not necessarily purchasing green energy for ourselves, but really just donating to a fund that offsets the higher cost for the utility to purchase green energy and put it into the grid.

Just FYI, here's the scoop on our local green power intiative...

https://www.pse.com/solutions/home_greenPower.aspx

With that said, I don't participate in the program. :roll: :oops:

^Thanks for the info Kurt, I'll look into that some.
Ziggy953 said:
guy put the turbines up. Not all of it was good as they aren't the prettiest things to look at
I live about 10 miles from two nuclear towers. Not only are the towers nice to look at, but the steam/smoke plums visible for 10's of miles melting into the clouds somedays is very comforting... Along w/ the monthly evacuation siren tests :uhoh:

I found an interesting blog. A man used natural sunlight reflected through tubes, for lack of a better word, into his tank instead of MH lighting. He has since shut down the system due to temp fluctuations, and a couple other things, but plans to do it again, better in the future. Here is a link directly too the gallery- http://reefrancher.com/gallery/reefrancher/installation

Back
Top Bottom