Reef Key Largo Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Either "Key Largo" rock from MarcoRocks or "Reef Saver" from BRS, and there are other sources, are perfect base rock. Becomes great live rock with time.

- D

I'm assuming you mean "need". The term "base" rock was meant for rock that has very little character- dense, boulder type pieces with very little nooks and crannies that you would make a base out of, and then cover with the more porous pieces that have more character.

The idea is that you would make a mound and then hand pick pieces you really like the look of and put them on top.
Now people are using that term for rock that's dry.

I would not consider this rock "base" rock because it looks nice enough to be on top of the pile, covered in coral.

Oh ok that's not what I was talking about.. Haha I have seen people put like limestone under the sand bed.. What is that for?

Sure, but having live rock and aragonite sand in the tank already, I wouldn't think it would change things much to add more limestone. Plus, it's quite dense. I don't see the limestone that I'm used to, breaking down in salt water as easily as ocean rock or calcium based sand/crushed coral.

Sure, but having live rock and aragonite sand in the tank already, I wouldn't think it would change things much to add more limestone. Plus, it's quite dense. I don't see the limestone that I'm used to, breaking down in salt water as easily as ocean rock or calcium based sand/crushed coral.

+1 on that. But the reef is where almost all limestone comes from. It won't go into solution anyways. It takes fatally low ph to start that process.

But it does break down to some extent, doesn't it? I mean, how else does it buffer?
We have a massive concentration of limestone right here in Flourtown-
Highway Materials Quarry (Old Corson Quarry), Whitemarsh Township, Montgomery Co., Pennsylvania, USA
I don't know if you recall the beginning of my build when I had the 31" tall 265 in the wall for a bit. I went to this quarry and picked up a couple hundred pounds of limestone to put under my sand bed. My reason was that I wanted to be able to reach the bottom.

When I tell you this stuff was dense.....
img_2501122_0_cc396ce120ce667ab16f07a1a1ed6e98.jpg

Chemically, it's a the same stuff, right? The exposed surface area will determine the speed it can go into solution, why ground aragonite is superior to rocks for buffering. Still the safest material to use in the reef, because it belongs there.

Have you heard any issues with the quarried rock that is so popular now? I have heard tales about bad batches that had metallic minerals in them.

I'm thinking it's composition is somewhat different. I want to think it's like different metals, some softer than others. Those rocks you see in my hand would be hard to break with a hammer, while calcium based live rock can easily be pulverized with the right tool.

I'm thinking it's composition is somewhat different. I want to think it's like different metals, some softer than others. Those rocks you see in my hand would be hard to break with a hammer, while calcium based live rock can easily be pulverized with the right tool.

The rock in your hand has been under enormous pressure for millions of years. That alone will make it much harder than rock harvested off a rubble pile on the reef.

Yes, I forgot the influence a little pressure has, but then if you put this rock in a reactor, along with something more porous, it's going to appear to break down a lot slower, and also take much longer to get your desired result, correct?

Yep, I think I`m going to order some off Marco reef tomrrow. It seems like the best choice for now.

Just curious, have a friend doing a restart and wants to go with all live rock. What's the best out there? It use to be FiJi, but that was a long time ago.

I just got 100 pounds of Totoka rock, and It's giant pieces of petrified, branchy, coral skeletons. Great for placing corals, but I'm not sure about it's anaerobic bacteria capability.

Back
Top Bottom