Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

MH lights on a 10g would be really difficult to maintain proper temperature without a chiller. Austinsdad is right, you will need to mount it relatively high enough so it doesn't heat the water so much. I made the mistake once of mounting an MH light too close on a 90g tank and it melted the center brace! These lights are no joke, and get very, very hot.

I agree with others' that say put the extra money into the 55g. You will be much happier in the long run.

Regards,

Mike

Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pph_2ppr
I know that it would be the smart choice, but i will be moving out to college here this fall, and dont think i will be able to keep a 55 gallon aquarium in my dorm. I thought keeping a 10 gallon there would be more realistic. If i have an aquarium this small it will be easy to explain to someone how to take care of it. Im trying to save as much money possible to pay for college, and hope to set the 55 when i graduate or get into more permanent housing. I might until then give the tank to relatives in omaha who are interested in starting one. If i could find MH for a 55 around $200 then i might consider setting it up( the 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon couldnt be obtained either..)mayb if i skip out on college right now i think it would help my future reef tank if i just do what i can to get knowledge. small tank better then none

Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK... it's good to have a little background.

Honestly - I wouldn't even start the 10g then if I was you if you're just going to go off to school in Aug/Sep and leave it to someone else to take care of. By the time you get that tank stabilized, you'll be looking at April on the calendar, at least. Keeping a 10g reef is tough and a fair amount of work because it's just not a lot of water volume to play with. Things go bad real quick in tiny tanks. I know this sounds harsh and probably pessimistic, but you'd only get a few months enjoyment out of it while you're home in the summer. Whoever you turned it over to - unless they've got some experience under their belt - would probably mess it up or even crash it because (1) they have even less experience than you, and (2) they don't have the time/money invested in it that you do.

OK... I've spoken my mind, now I'll shut up!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
OK... it's good to have a little background.

Honestly - I wouldn't even start the 10g then if I was you if you're just going to go off to school in Aug/Sep and leave it to someone else to take care of. By the time you get that tank stabilized, you'll be looking at April on the calendar, at least. Keeping a 10g reef is tough and a fair amount of work because it's just not a lot of water volume to play with. Things go bad real quick in tiny tanks. I know this sounds harsh and probably pessimistic, but you'd only get a few months enjoyment out of it while you're home in the summer. Whoever you turned it over to - unless they've got some experience under their belt - would probably mess it up or even crash it because (1) they have even less experience than you, and (2) they don't have the time/money invested in it that you do.

OK... I've spoken my mind, now I'll shut up!
Agree with what was said stick with freshwater until you are ready to dedicate daily maintenance, serious research, and lots of time. 10g reef is for the advanced aquarist who has had a big tank and looking for a challenge. small tank is not better than none at least for the fishes sake

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

ahh screw the reef idea, I thought corals would be too much for me anyways. I still will probably get the CFs so it is not so dark. Are you kidding me, you want me to go back to fresh water but it is you guys that got me obsessed with salt, and i dont think i could settle for less. Now i really dont know what im gonna do, can i keep it a fish only setup?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pph_2ppr View Post
ahh screw the reef idea, I thought corals would be too much for me anyways. I still will probably get the CFs so it is not so dark. Are you kidding me, you want me to go back to fresh water but it is you guys that got me obsessed with salt, and i dont think i could settle for less. Now i really dont know what im gonna do, can i keep it a fish only setup?
Really just spend a few buck and get at least a 29gallon setup they don't take up that much space really and it opens the door to so much more. Why is it you want a 10g why not a bigger tank. One thing I have learned is you can not go cheap in this hobby ever. I have spent 2500 on a 46g and kick myself in the butt for not getting the MH light for my tank to save money. Dish out the cash or find a hobby other than reef tanks

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I now think reefing is now out of the question, I'm liking the 10 gallon because now i don't need as much live rock/replacement salt/equipment etc. mayb now is the time i need to get experience in saltwater keeping so i can have a reef in the future
Old 02-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pph_2ppr View Post
I now think reefing is now out of the question, I'm liking the 10 gallon because now i don't need as much live rock/replacement salt/equipment etc. mayb now is the time i need to get experience in saltwater keeping so i can have a reef in the future
you know from 10g to 20g there is a huge difference in what can be accomplished and 20g tanks only cost like 30 dollars well worth the few extra pennies. you could very well keep a nice saltwater setup in a 20g being new at it just making sure the SG and temperature is consistent. Also avoiding algae by using RO/DI water but then again RO/DI water costs money. Just no corals until you have a bigger tank with a lot of time and patience

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 02-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

ironically i do have a ro/di unit and use that water for the 10 gallon right now......20 gallons does not sound like a bad ideathe price of salt would still be relatively low. I was thinking about connecting a 10 gallon sump on, would this work the same
Old 02-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think with a 20gallon a sump would take up a lot of space to where you might as well buy a bigger tank and skip the sump(better for the fish) And I dont know if they make an overflow and pump that are rated for that small of a tank(not sure) With a 20gallon and RO/DI water some good salt you could have a pair of clownfish probably(not sure) Clownfish are so much fun to watch, very hardy and easy to keep. Make sure you buy a refractometer do not skimp on that cost the 50 dollars is well worth it and let your water sit for 24 hours before adding to the tank. Maybe you could use the 10gallon tank to mix your saltwater in

FijiWigi_Tank_photos

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com