Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-21-2003, 09:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Reef Lighting

I know corals need 4-6watts per gallon, but is it neccisary, what will happen if they only have 1-2 ? Please write back.

Hola mis amigos. Como Estas? Muy Bien. Hasta Luego.
GT96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:45 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Depending on the coral it will either stop growing or die totally.

Most corals are photosynthetic to the degree that they have a symbolic relation ship with a special algae that lives within their tissues. This algae takes the light and converts it into suger that the corals use for food. Corals also can matabloize food from the water colum and some corals prefer meaty foods as a supplemtn to the sugar they get from the algae.

Other corals are totally non photosythetic and get all their energy from food that they capture from the water column.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
well I've had my Colt for about a month and it is about a foot tall and alteast 6in. in width. It has grown alot but I onlt have 1-2 watts per gallon in my 105 gall. What is your input on that ? And also I jus bought a youngs coral ( it is identical to a leather ) It is doing fine and I want to get a Star Plolyps and Xenia. Will these do as good as the Colt is ? write back please
Hola mis amigos. Como Estas? Muy Bien. Hasta Luego.
GT96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 05:08 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Colts are an exception to the rule most of the time. A colt (depending on which "colt" you have) will grow about anywhere. I'm not sure what you mean by the "youngs coral". There are many different corals that are called leathers as well. Some might do OK under the lighting you have and others probably wouldn't. Although you might be OK with the star polyps, I'd probably wait on the xenia until I had more lighting.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
coral lighting

A lot of lighting out there is just bogus. Most of the lights that people buy are not necessary for most corals. With that said, I do own metal halides myself because I want to grow carcea clams and Acroporas. However, I kept a successfully reef with leather corals, colt corals, mushrooms and zooanthids with 1-2 watts of regular fluorescent lighting. If you are content with some of the lower light corals, and use nonphotosynthetic inverts and corals in the lower areas (like Tubastrea, or chile coral or even feather dusters), you will do just fine. For a way to set up a low light tank, or even one that does not rely on light at all check out www.garf.org. They might be able to show you something you would have never believed possible.

ReefGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:01 PM   #6
With lower light levels some corals will survive but not thrive or grow. Why spend money on corals and put them in sub par conditions? There are lighting options that are not to exspensive and would benifit your tank inhabitants and allow you more choices when it comes to choosing corals! Remember corals live under the tropical sun so they need bright intense lights. This is not the hobby to take short cuts in; you will respend the money later on better equipment if you do! Please do not interpret my tone as harsh; i just want to help you get it right the first time!
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I started out with 2 wpg and had good luck with shrooms and polyps. But like the man said, within a year I wanted clams and much more. I ended up going with the mh after all. But I did save a lot of money by DIY. We built our own canopy and got the ballasts, reflectors, bulbs, and sockets separately and wired them ourselves. We got the fans at radio shack. Just about any lfs will order the parts for you and they can get the wiring diagram for you too. Now I have 7.25 wpg and can have anything I want. It's just easier if you don't have to constantly wonder if you can have this coral or that coral. Good luck.
Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
Kinda like if you put a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gal tank. Yes it may grow , It will be stunted and is living conditions far from optimal but may grow.

Marcus S Russo
marcus russo is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com