reef lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a question. Anybody know anything about making a light fixture yourself? I mean of course ill need to do some serious googling lol and im not even sure if its even a possibility for me but before I put out 500 bucks I just wanna make sure iv lookes at all my options.

I think Saratj1 , might be wrong spelling, (someone on this site), made his own LED unit. Maybe look him up in the list of users , and private message him on it. I've seen what he made and looked pretty good, although I've read that he wished it had a little more power. But he can just add some more to it.

Thank you. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll try and get a link to my build, even though it's kinda rough, not step by step or anything.

But some advice:
1. Research the LEDs you want to use. The more wattages, colors, manufacturers you use. The more complicated it gets. So try to stick to one type of led per fixture.
2. The quality of your heatsink, wires, and your soldering ability is pretty much going to be the quality of your fixture, you have some wiggle room with the solder, (I'm not the greatest, and I ruined some 1w's) but practice soldering and get a decent iron.
3. Learn how to pick an appropriate power supply for your chosen LEDs. Get info from a couple sources on this, and get a firm understanding, (It will save you money).

I bought 3 heat sinks , 5 different colors of LEDs, 3 different manufacturers LEDs, 3 different wattages of LEDs, 4 power supplies. And a few other misc parts I didn't need. Some was on purpose, most I didn't know what I was doing. But you learn fast when it cost you, so it's kinda good to put some money in it.

Back
Top Bottom