Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

reef lighting

I'm starting a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. Iv got most everything understood and layed out. The only thing I'm a little confussed about is the lighting. I havnt done reefs before and I want to make sure I get a set up with enough power to keep healthy corals. Any suggestions?

Old 05-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actinic lighting are good. The provide great wavelengths of nice blue marine scenery. But you'll need more than the lighting than I just suggested, and it depends on the marine life and coals you choose.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of corals do you plan on keeping? Sps, clams, nems require higher lighting than others. Also many lps require high lighting.

Next you have to decide on what type of lighting you want. Metal halide, T5HO, Led's are the most popular and best suites to reef tanks. They each have drawbacks and advantages so i would start your research there. If i had to recommend i would recommend leds. They offer great intense lighting, highly efficient and no bulb replacement. The drawback is the higher initial price of this type of lighting, it not cheap.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Id like to do the majority of them soft corlas but I'm really glad you saw this tjread schism. To tell you the truth the pics of your tank are what made ne decide I want to do a reed tank. I absaloutly love the picture you have with yoir clown infront of the bright green one. If you don't mind me asking what exactly is that? And id love to do leds but I'm on a college kid budget so I think I'm goimg to do metal halide since its a little cheaper. Its just the watrage and specttum diffrences thay have me thrown off.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry about the horrible spelling. Just got this new phone amd the touch keyboards are aweful. =\
Old 05-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Leds are initially more money but also cost less in hydro and no replacing bulbs. There are inexpensive options for leds also. I use swype with my touch key pad works nicely
Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I hope this link still works, but it is to the taotronics lights that are used throughout users of this forum for even the most light demanding corals. Over a 55 you would need 2, one on each side of the brace.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=150726029374
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I second the cheapo LED's posted above. They work great for the money> It's a shame you are 3 hours away. If you ever decide you want to take a trip to the hidden reef, the fish factory, and pets plus in pa, they are all about 10 minutes from my house and you can stop by and check them out over my tank.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks deff will if I'm ever that way. I'm always stoked to learn as much as I can about rhe hobby
I'm in love with it. The only thing that sucks is I'm all by myself I don't know anyone that can help me. That's why I'm so thankful for all your guys help. After looking at the long term cost of metal halide I'm deff just ganna wait till I can affoard an led fixture and I'm ganna try and get the taotronics. Especially since a lot of ppl on here keep them in their favor. The next thing I need to figure out is the corals to get to go with them. Lol =)
Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonjkoontz1
Id like to do the majority of them soft corlas but I'm really glad you saw this tjread schism. To tell you the truth the pics of your tank are what made ne decide I want to do a reed tank. I absaloutly love the picture you have with yoir clown infront of the bright green one. If you don't mind me asking what exactly is that? And id love to do leds but I'm on a college kid budget so I think I'm goimg to do metal halide since its a little cheaper. Its just the watrage and specttum diffrences thay have me thrown off.
Its a Tyree Neon Green Sarcophyton Toadstool. My clowns host it. If going metal halide just be sure your able to cool them/keep your tank cool. 2 150w over your 55 will be plenty for softies/LPS.

As for spectrum, halides generally come in 10k, 14k and 20k bulbs. 10k being a very white light and 20k being deep blue, 14k falls in the middle as a nice white/blue light. 14k is what i use in my 150w over my 29g.

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com