Reef lobster in a 5g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 5 gallon tank with some live rock that I was planning on putting a pom pom crab in but I already have two in my 55g and I'd like to do something different. I've seen a couple of cool Nano lobster setups (as small as 2.5g). Is a 5g too small for a daum's reef lobster? They get about four inches so they're slightly smaller than the debelius reef lobster. Also, is 6lbs of LR with a korolia Nano(240gph) sufficient filtration? I plan on using an auto top off on this tank so Salinity swings are not a concern.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm far from a fan of tanks so small when it comes to most things, especially sensitive inverts, but it might be doable as long as it has a cave to hide itself in.

besides the problem of stable water conditions, lobsters hide 99% of the time, you will never see him and he will attack and kill anything he can catch

besides the problem of stable water conditions, lobsters hide 99% of the time, you will never see him and he will attack and kill anything he can catch

I agree. I have had mine in my 120 gallon reef and have seen him maybe 8 times in 10 yrs. They only come out at night.

Well that's why I'm going with such a small setup. I'm planning on making a cave where I can view him during the day. But I'm aware that they are nocturnal. And he's going to be alone except for some expendable cerith snails.

How often should lobster be fed? Is squid and frozen hikari clams a good diet for him?

On mine I dont feed him. He`s a scavanger. but in a small tank like that you will need to feed him. Just make sure you dont foul up the tank by feeding too much. I guess the two choices you gave will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom