Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reef Octopus

Well my LFS actually has a Reef Octopus, fairly small at the moment. Of course I see that and thought I want it!!!!

I saw it was still there this week, and for fun I looked up what is required to keep one in an aquarium.

Long story short, not for me :P

nxb161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Lol, 50 gallons for a dwarf octopus, tell that to the people at Tonmo..
I always get excited whenever I see octopuses in stores. I loooove octopuses.

jenatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
A reef octopus? That almost makes me think it was a blue ringed, and those are deadly poisonous, I've read that even putting your hand in their water can make you woozy.

But to put a label of "Expert Only" would be an understatement, those guys are extremely hard to take care of. I'd love to own one, but I don't think I'd do it very well even if I could provide the best conditions possible for it
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
To clarify, octopuses are not difficult to care for as long as you have the proper equipment, money to pay for what it needs, time, and patience. Before attempting an octopus, you should already be well rounded in aquarium chemistries, how to adjust them, and read a good book about general octopus husbandry such as "Cephalopods," by Dunlop & King. Tonmo is another resourse as well. As for "Reef octopus," that could describe any number of species including briareus (large octo).
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

octopus, reef, reef octopus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com