Reef Octopus BH-1000 OR Aquamaxx Hob-1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I'm looking for a new HOB skimmer for my tank and it's come down to these two. I have a 40 gallon long (48x13x17) tank with an ocellaris clownfish, and a pajama cardinalfish. In the future, it's going to be a heavily stocked tank. It's a really tough decision to make because everyone seems to have different opinions. If anyone has experience with any of these skimmers tell me! BEING QUIET PLAYS AN IMPORTANT ROLE AS THE AQUARIUM IS IN THE BEDROOM!!!!

Can't speak for the aquamaxx, so I can't compare, but I did run the BH1000 on my 55 FOWLR with good luck... Was pretty quiet and easy to adjust. Definitely pulled out a nice skimmate as well, which is most important.

I owned the RO BH2000 and it was very impressive. I can't comment of the aquamaxx since I never owned anything from their line of products.

For any HOB skimmer you choose, keep in mind that the water level is very important when it comes to producing consistent and efficient skimmate. When I had my BH2000 on my display tank, I had to constantly keep an eye on the water line. Eventually I got tired of topping off manually and got an ATO for the display tank. All the equipment become an eyesore with so many things hanging on the tank (heater, lighting and PH chords).

I have the BH-90 from reef octopus on my 40. Just something to consider.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428881631.290807.jpg

The Shark-1 pump on the aquamaxx's air pull is only 240 lph, and the BH-1000's pump pulls 420lph. The octo will do a better job. I have no idea which is quieter though.

Back
Top Bottom