Reef parasite kills my zoanthids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, what's this ? This seems to kill my zoans colonies...

586118IMG2612.jpg

This is growing everywhere... I didn't added anything to the tank since 5-6 years.

I bet for aiptasias, but I don't know if a peppermint shrimp will eat this specific species....

You are right I think. Assuming you can find the right peppermint shrimp, Peppermint shrimp may not eat them since they are really opportunity eaters. If that is the only 3 you have you can just inject chemicals or lemon juice or inject hot water into them. I just killed 5 last night by take the rock out and soak part of the rock in boiling hot water and then pick off the dead bodies. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You are right I think. Assuming you can find the right peppermint shrimp, Peppermint shrimp may not eat them since they are really opportunity eaters. If that is the only 3 you have you can just inject chemicals or lemon juice or inject hot water into them. I just killed 5 last night by take the rock out and soak part of the rock in boiling hot water and then pick off the dead bodies. Good luck.

I probably have 50+ of them... On each side of the tank... So I guess it's spreaded everywhere in hidden spaces.

Thanks for advice, I'll give them a shot of Aiptasia X and go buy a peppermint... May 2 peppermint do a better job ?

I probably have 50+ of them... On each side of the tank... So I guess it's spreaded everywhere in hidden spaces.

Thanks for advice, I'll give them a shot of Aiptasia X and go buy a peppermint... May 2 peppermint do a better job ?

Ok may I suggest buying some Berghia Nudibranch. They eat only aiptasia and aiptasia only. So safe and motivated eater. Based on your large number of aiptasia you may need to buy a bunch. Check out the formula. On top it, you may still want to physically kill and remove as many as you can. Aiptasia x on 50 of them may very we'll change the chem of your tank.

Ok may I suggest buying some Berghia Nudibranch. They eat only aiptasia and aiptasia only. So safe and motivated eater. Based on your large number of aiptasia you may need to buy a bunch. Check out the formula. On top it, you may still want to physically kill and remove as many as you can. Aiptasia x on 50 of them may very we'll change the chem of your tank.

What param does it change ? I guess KH or Ca ?

Thanks for the tips on the nudis. Can U confirm the pictures in this article are the right nudis ? Don't to introduce a pest in my 20g... http://www.saltyunderground.com/pages.php?pID=23

I found this in my tank there's 5-6 months, but I killed it... Thinking it was a zoan eater... Was it a aiptasia eater ?
mini_920627isthatnudibranch.jpg

(Picture I took right before killing it)
Thank very much !

No, more than that. If you get it on the wrong kind coral you may burn or even kill corals as well.

Looks very alike but I am not expert so can't really tell for sure. Sorry. What I can tell is you need big ones and probably quite a few of them.

It is hard to see things in your picture. It could be aiptasia...but for some reason I can't get hydroids out of my head. Can you get a better picture?

It is hard to see things in your picture. It could be aiptasia...but for some reason I can't get hydroids out of my head. Can you get a better picture?

Unfortunately, thoses were the biggest I had... I just gave them Aiptasia X, so they seems to be dead... If I touch them, will I get sting if it's hydroids ? I can do the test :s

What do I do if it's hydroids ?

Though some quick reading, as I've never gone up against hydroids...it seems it might not matter if they are aiptasia or hydroids. People have reported some success with aiptasia-x...but also read that joe's juice may be more effective for hyroids. If this doesn't work, just cover them with superglue. And there is always burning them off.

Though some quick reading, as I've never gone up against hydroids...it seems it might not matter if they are aiptasia or hydroids. People have reported some success with aiptasia-x...but also read that joe's juice may be more effective for hyroids. If this doesn't work, just cover them with superglue. And there is always burning them off.

THey're growing on a lot of rocks... My biggest LR is affected... If I get sting by thoses, I think I'll go buy some new LR...

I'll keep dosing Aiptasia-X.... When I dosed AiptasiaX, this just seems to have killed the "head" but not the "trunk".

Can I replace all the LR in same time ? Or there'll be a curing process ?

Funny I'm thinkin hydroids as well I had a few they just disapear over night but they have a wicked sting to corals

Hydroids can be a pain to rid as the can be mobile and swim like a jelly fish til they anchor in a suited spot

Kalking them works but they will keep coming back for a while. Try it just keeping an eye on them once you see a new one kalk it...

Oh and just to be clear when I say "Kalk" I mean Kalkwasser/pickling lime mixed into ta slurry.

Back
Top Bottom