Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reef parasite kills my zoanthids

Hi, what's this ? This seems to kill my zoans colonies...

This is growing everywhere... I didn't added anything to the tank since 5-6 years.

I bet for aiptasias, but I don't know if a peppermint shrimp will eat this specific species....

Old 10-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You are right I think. Assuming you can find the right peppermint shrimp, Peppermint shrimp may not eat them since they are really opportunity eaters. If that is the only 3 you have you can just inject chemicals or lemon juice or inject hot water into them. I just killed 5 last night by take the rock out and soak part of the rock in boiling hot water and then pick off the dead bodies. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujp16 View Post
You are right I think. Assuming you can find the right peppermint shrimp, Peppermint shrimp may not eat them since they are really opportunity eaters. If that is the only 3 you have you can just inject chemicals or lemon juice or inject hot water into them. I just killed 5 last night by take the rock out and soak part of the rock in boiling hot water and then pick off the dead bodies. Good luck.

I probably have 50+ of them... On each side of the tank... So I guess it's spreaded everywhere in hidden spaces.

Thanks for advice, I'll give them a shot of Aiptasia X and go buy a peppermint... May 2 peppermint do a better job ?
Old 10-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
I probably have 50+ of them... On each side of the tank... So I guess it's spreaded everywhere in hidden spaces.

Thanks for advice, I'll give them a shot of Aiptasia X and go buy a peppermint... May 2 peppermint do a better job ?

Ok may I suggest buying some Berghia Nudibranch. They eat only aiptasia and aiptasia only. So safe and motivated eater. Based on your large number of aiptasia you may need to buy a bunch. Check out the formula. On top it, you may still want to physically kill and remove as many as you can. Aiptasia x on 50 of them may very we'll change the chem of your tank.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujp16 View Post
Ok may I suggest buying some Berghia Nudibranch. They eat only aiptasia and aiptasia only. So safe and motivated eater. Based on your large number of aiptasia you may need to buy a bunch. Check out the formula. On top it, you may still want to physically kill and remove as many as you can. Aiptasia x on 50 of them may very we'll change the chem of your tank.

What param does it change ? I guess KH or Ca ?

Thanks for the tips on the nudis. Can U confirm the pictures in this article are the right nudis ? Don't to introduce a pest in my 20g... http://www.saltyunderground.com/pages.php?pID=23

I found this in my tank there's 5-6 months, but I killed it... Thinking it was a zoan eater... Was it a aiptasia eater ?

(Picture I took right before killing it)
Thank very much !
Old 10-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #6

No, more than that. If you get it on the wrong kind coral you may burn or even kill corals as well.

Looks very alike but I am not expert so can't really tell for sure. Sorry. What I can tell is you need big ones and probably quite a few of them.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It is hard to see things in your picture. It could be aiptasia...but for some reason I can't get hydroids out of my head. Can you get a better picture?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
It is hard to see things in your picture. It could be aiptasia...but for some reason I can't get hydroids out of my head. Can you get a better picture?
Unfortunately, thoses were the biggest I had... I just gave them Aiptasia X, so they seems to be dead... If I touch them, will I get sting if it's hydroids ? I can do the test :s

What do I do if it's hydroids ?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Though some quick reading, as I've never gone up against hydroids...it seems it might not matter if they are aiptasia or hydroids. People have reported some success with aiptasia-x...but also read that joe's juice may be more effective for hyroids. If this doesn't work, just cover them with superglue. And there is always burning them off.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Though some quick reading, as I've never gone up against hydroids...it seems it might not matter if they are aiptasia or hydroids. People have reported some success with aiptasia-x...but also read that joe's juice may be more effective for hyroids. If this doesn't work, just cover them with superglue. And there is always burning them off.
THey're growing on a lot of rocks... My biggest LR is affected... If I get sting by thoses, I think I'll go buy some new LR...

I'll keep dosing Aiptasia-X.... When I dosed AiptasiaX, this just seems to have killed the "head" but not the "trunk".

Can I replace all the LR in same time ? Or there'll be a curing process ?

Tags
parasite, reef, zoanthid, zoanthids

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com