Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reef question

My soon to be reef was just started last wednesday. My ammonia spike happened and was converted. I now have only nitrates and the water has been tested 3 times since wed. I am doing a PWC tonight. I am getting some brown algae on some of the LR that did not have any on it to start. It is looking alive at least but will the brown take over is my question it is on my PHs too. What are your thoughts.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

New tanks equals diatoms. Normal part of the process.

Sounds like you're ready for your cleanup crew.

What is your question on the powerheads?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am getting the same brown algae on the powerheads as well. So thats normal. It is also on my sand somewhat in areas of lesser flow. Also is it normal for your LR to lose some purple in the first couple weeks... then it will build back up I assume if calcium is sufficient. I got a lot of purple left but I had red on one rock and that is gone now. It still looks amazing I am just curious. A clean up crew it is then. I want to get the right amount. I dont want the algae and other stuff to getting eaten so quickly that they are then left without food.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

How much water movement (gph) from your powerheads? Wonderin if you can resolve those "areas of lesser flow" somehow. How/where are the powerheads positioned?

Doing 20-25% PWCs?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have repositioned the right PH which is a koralia 3 and put a koralia two on the same side but on the overflowbox pointed towards the right PH. Like I said I moved the Koralia 3 to face more towards the rocks. Yea I just did a water change tonight of about 15 gallons. Oh and I have my return lines. With a mag drive 9 pumping the water.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Nice job with the rockwork, simple yet effective. Play with your powerhead placements. One option is to try and create a rolling movement "barrel effect" instead of just pushing water left and right. Do you have much room behind your rockwork? If you do, you can create an internal closed loop by purchasing a couple maxijets or a single Quiet One (4000) pump, placing the pump behind the rockwork on a low-profle stand so the sand isn't sucked in, and create multiple outlets (just like a regular closed loop). This should allow you to eliminate at least the Kor 3 if not both. Otherwise, I would add one more powerhead at the bottom right pushing out and left. Place the main return line on the right towards the back to keep the back area flushed. Lower the left powerheads and aim towards the overflow. Just some options

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com