reef rack good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
reef rack good or bad?

i have just been looking around at some aquarium sites where people said i could get good live rock and i came across this:

641.jpg

okay doesnt like hotlink, then go to www.marinefishuk.co.uk then album, then andrew barnett, then page 2 and its the last picture there

do you reackon this would be good. As it would be alot cheaper then adding another 20 to 30 kg of live rock, and it would mean that detrious didnt get trapped under the rocks and there could be more flow around! And i could make some more intersetin structures like caves and swim throughs for the fish.

Or would it be better to go and egt some more live rock, like 20-30 kg.

my tank is a 100 gal and it has 75kg of live rock in the tank and 10 kg in the sump and i will be adding more to the sump like another 1okg.

so what do you reckon, is it a good idea?

thanx andrew

edited by Biggen
fixed your link

1439reefrack.jpg

I don't understand its purpose. You still have to put LR onto those "racks", right? How does that save you from buying more LR. Theoretically, yes, it would provide better circulation around the rocks, but I am not sure how much that would help. A properly setup Berlin style tank provides more than enough circulation even with the rocks pushed into the sand.

I guess it would look interesting in the tank. A "stairs" effect sure would look different.

yeah it would saze as the rack would take up room, that i would have to buy live rock for, if you get me.

i think it can be used for leads of things like frags and shop displays and this!

My LFS must be low end. They sit their frags on PVC pipe which rests on the bottom of their coral tanks.

yeah it can be used for that, but do you reckon it would be good for my needs, and how many kg of live rock do you think i should have in a 100 gal?

1 to 1.5lbs per gallon would be good, so that would be 1 to 1.5 kilograms per 8 liters if I have calculated right??

I hope I did LOL

oops so for a 100 u.s. gal tank it would be 50 to 75 kG

yeah it would saze as the rack would take up room, that i would have to buy live rock for, if you get me.

No not really. :( You are basically handicapping yourself if you are putting in items that are taking up room in place of the LR. You need filtration in a tank. Egg crate is not going to provide filtration. Now if you could stock your tank with the proper amount of LR and *THEN* find a spot for the rack, that would be great. As far as placing the LR on the rack, but I am not so sure that I would want rock resting on plastic egg crate. Looks like a rock slide waiting to happen.

I think that rack would be great for corals and frags. Would look cool to see coral in front of a LR wall.

how many kg of live rock do you think i should have in a 100 gal?

You need between 1-1.5lbs per gallon. So 100 - 150 lbs of LR would be great. Keep in mind you don't actually have to buy all this as LR. You could buy 20-30lbs of LR and buy the rest as base rock. Over time that the critters and bacteria on the LR will migrate to the base rock.

Edit

Woops you asked in Kilograms. You would eventually need between 45 - 70 kilograms of LR.

Back
Top Bottom