Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Most commercial salt mix manufacturers boast of containing the 70+ trace elements/minerals that are found in the ocean. Supplements are sold for just a handful of those.

Even with over skimming, use of charcoal and poly filters, macro algae and LR, the water will still not be as pristine as a freshly made batch of NSW. Also, all that skimming and filtering will remove some of those trace elements.

A bucket of salt that makes 200 gallons of mixed NSW goes for around $50.00. The cost for making RODI water is pennies per gallon. The cost of trace supplements is quite high by comparison.

PWC's are the way to go in both FW and SW, IMHO.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
I'm proof that supplements are a VERY risky thing. I tested my water for Iodine levels and it was quite low. I added a Kent Marine Iodine supplement and lost an Open Brain, and a Hammer Coral and almost lost my Bubble Coral. I think it may have led to the demise of my Firefish Goby and a Neon Goby. Thats about a $200 loss.

PWC's are the way to go, IMO as well.

usmcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
"Reef Safe" is a verbal anomaly that is quite misleading. Technically speaking, nothing is "reef safe" since the majority of animals we are able to house inherently feed from the reef in one way or another, thus affecting an ever-so changing system. The term usually implies anything that is aggressive and/or a possible threat towards invertebrates. IMO the term is better to be ignored due to incorrect categorization of fish behaviorism.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Originally Posted by itafx
At the LFS, the "expert" told me not to get anemones because all anemones grow huge and move around and sting the coral. Is that accurate? Are there some options with anemones? They sure look nice.
Not all anemones get "huge." Certainly clownfish host anemones get large from the bta that will get around 12''+ in diameter to S. Mertensi that will get 36''+ in diameter if cared for properly.

Rock anemones (E. crucifer) do not get huge usually under 12'' in diameter and the growth can be controlled by feeding (don't feed and it grows slowly, feed and it grows fast).

S. tapetum and other mini-carpets come in beautiful colors and usually stay ~10''. There are several other anemones I didn't mention.

Also, yes the anemones can move around and kill every coral they come into contact with, BUT the only reason they move is becuase something is irritating them so they move to find a better location. If given the proper care (water conditions, lighting, etc.) they could stay in the same spot and not move for many months if not years and then you can place corals around them.

Another thing to keep in mind is that anemones are not for beginners and if not given the proper environment and it dies (unless in a large system or your lucky)- there goes everything in your tank. They can dissolve rather quickly.
Lance M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hands down PWC's are key. Also I tend to shy away from adding anything that moves from my tank. While they may be "reef safe" they can still annoy and knock over corals and start trouble.....

Any home mortgage questions feel free to ask. Thats what I do when I'm not tending to my tank!!
beachbumin is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com