Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Reef safe fish

I had to get rid of my lunar wrasse because I added a crocea clam. Do I also have to get rid of my Koran angelfish? What other reef safe fish can I add?

Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Koran angelfish are not reef safe at all, and they need huge tanks. 200 gallons + when fully grown

Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok. Thanks. What fish are reef safe and compatible with clownfish, gobies, and a yellow tang?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are many types! Haha i cant name then all, but there are cool basslets, other types of wrasse like the six line and the flasher. Also dwarf angels, blennys, etc
Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

you can search for reef safe only fish here
Old 04-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dwarf angels are no more reef safe than large angels.Its a risk with either of them
The first thing we need to know is the tank size ,before suggesting fish
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well there are a few dwarf angels that are more reef safe then regular angels. For example a flame angel is more reef safe then a koran angel. It may be "with caution" but still reef safe for the most part IMO
Old 04-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Well there are a few dwarf angels that are more reef safe then regular angels. For example a flame angel is more reef safe then a koran angel. It may be "with caution" but still reef safe for the most part IMO
Its 50/50 with angels ,,unless its a lamark,bellus or swallowtail..only 3 i know of to be 99.9% reef safe ..
To say that a flame is safe is the same as saying a koran is IMO...My koran nipped ,destroyed and ate everything i tried except mushrooms..On the other hand,I know people who say their koran doesn't nip anything..
Its misleading to the OP to say flames are reef safe ...
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
Its 50/50 with angels ,,unless its a lamark,bellus or swallowtail..only 3 i know of to be 99.9% reef safe ..
To say that a flame is safe is the same as saying a koran is IMO...My koran nipped ,destroyed and ate everything i tried except mushrooms..On the other hand,I know people who say their koran doesn't nip anything..
Its misleading to the OP to say flames are reef safe ...
Alright sorry, they are not by definition reef safe, but if you want one in a reef tank really bad like myself, you will be open to trying it out haha
Old 04-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Almost any fish even algae eaters under the right circumstances can become a coral problem. Usually fish known as reef safe if underfed or if socialized with coral nippers can pick up bad habits. If you do a net search on reef safe fish, and read enoeph articles you will see this behaviour exhibited by usually safe fish. I love flame angels but because it is such a crap shoot with corals have elected not to stock one. Also some corals are more appealing to fish than others while other coral have nasty things in their slime that discourages nipping. You just have to do the research and take your best shot. I am restocking a 72 mixed reef with the list below but nothing is certain, just less likely.

1-Two Spot Bristletooth, in QT now.
1-White tail Bristletooth, very different color than the 2 spot.
2-Standard Ocillaris clowns (intro a nem while clowns in QT) Tank age considering QT time will be 6mos.
1-Green clown Goby
1-purple psuedochromis

Other possibilities are Dispar Anthius, Black Axil Chromis, and the aggresive damsel family in general. McCosker Flasher Wrasse, Some wrasses not reef safe at all so research them. Gobys in general ,

Note: Don't overstock your tank. Select fish based on tank size and carry a light load. Best advice I can give at this point. Don't add 2 of the same fish unless they are schooling fish known to do well like Anthius. I have made alot of mistakes and IMO the list above is still a risk with 2 totally different color tangs but both tangs none the less and may be a problem. I will just have to keep close watch and act if a problem occurs.

Tags
reef, reef safe fish, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com