Reef Safe Inverts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to place a order online and get a bunch of inverts and maybe a fish or 2 in the next week or so. It seems the list of reef safe crabs/starfish/urchins etc is shorter than the non-safe list. Is there a trustworthy index somewhere that I can check out what I buy so I don't have to retun anything else?

I know I will be getting a cleaning shrimp or 2
Would like a coulple reef safe crabs(not hermits) besides emerald crabs
Maybe 2-3 starfish that will not destroy corals or good algae
Some snails which I guess are all pretty much reef safe
Maybe a nudibrach

crab- spider crab
star fish, blue lincka, red and orange star fish( fromia elegans , fmonilis)
nudibranches have specialized diets so you should know what kind your getting too know exactly what it needs too survive

I heard the blue lincka are difficult to take care of, if that is not true I would love to get one! I do have a smaller serpent and he's pretty cool. I don't know exactly what I want because I'll read a certain critter is reef safe on one site then on another it will say use caution or not reef safe.

im not sure how difficult they are sorry, im sure some one on here will have owned them at some point and can help you out there.

jamal-188 said:
I know I will be getting a cleaning shrimp or 2
Depending on tank size, I would opt for two. That way they may mate and provide a natural food source for corals and such.

Would like a coulple reef safe crabs(not hermits) besides emerald crabs
Sallylightfoots (with caution), porcelain crabs and acro crabs should be fine. I would not get the arrow crab as they are known to attack fish.

Maybe 2-3 starfish that will not destroy corals or good algae
In the beginning anyway, I would choose hardier species such as serpent stars. They are great for surface substrate clean up. If you get a brittle, avoid the green ones as they will be a problem. The black brittles are much safer.

Some snails which I guess are all pretty much reef safe
For the most part yes but I would suggest sticking to what you need for the time being. There are a great many "decorative" type snails that would be useless as far as keeping the tank clean. Keep to the known species that will help with the tanks health.

Maybe a nudibrach
Skip this idea altogether. They will not live long in a captive system.

Cheers
Steve

Sounds good, thanks everyone! I really just want to stick with stuff I know 100% will work. I"m tired of having stuff die or just not work out with my tank mates. I'll keep reading as much as I can until I'm ready to order :D

Back
Top Bottom