Reef safe puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anovack

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone had success having a puffer in a reef system. I love the look of valentini and blue spotted puffers. Would like one but I rather have healthy sps and lps in the DT over fish.

I wouldn't trust any puffer in a reef system. The blue spotted would be the safest bet, but you won't be able to keep inverts in your tank ever again.

Whelp, no puffers then. I read they don't like inverts and thought maybe they wouldn't go for a big cleaner or coral banded but if it's a roll of the dice I'm not into it. Inverts are a close second behind corals in my book.

I had a Valentini in my reef with no problems, he did nip at some hermit crabs shells when I first got him but then left everything alone. Great personallity until I found his crusty corps on the floor...

Yup, I had a bennetts puffer in my 55g he would randomly leave some corals alone but not others. Ate all my inverts tho... No reef safe guarantee

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Theres no guarantee for puffers. Its just hit or miss, mostly miss because of their fondness for inverts.

Back
Top Bottom