Reef safe star fishs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El_fishman616

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to put some different type of star fish in my 90 gallon. I would like I know from you guys which types would be reef safe.

Sorry for a mild hi-jack, but I've heard stories of brittles eating other inverts and slow sleeping fish... How dangerous are they in this regard? I love the way they look and move around a tank, but would rather not lose other creatures to a mindless brittle... :(

Bristle is the largest thing in my tank. Keep it fed and it won't try to be opportunistic, though I'd assume these stories came from people seeing them cleaning up an already dead fish they thought was fine since it was swimming the night before.

Hmm, saw a thread on here or another aquarium site that had a video of one that jumped a hermit crab that was its size (and alive) and proceed to kill and eat the thing. That video scared me off of them, heh. Wish I had the link to share!

I have a sand sifting star as well in my 55 g. Always in the sand, never on the rocks sometimes on the glass. Hides for a couple days then comes out. I also have a pinkish redish brittle star small hides in 1 rock all the time causes no issues. He was a hitch-hiker.

Thanks for some input on this I'm going to hit up the fish shop on Saturday see what I can bring home

Linknia stars are reef safe in my experience. Here are mine. They are a little on the difficult side. Pristine water conditions are needed.

100_0622.jpg

100_0574.jpg

100_1046.jpg

Fromias are great. I've had one that's stayed small, never bothered anyone. Beautiful color too.

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 82
Wow I'm inspired. Heading to my Lfs today see if they have any.

Sorry for a mild hi-jack, but I've heard stories of brittles eating other inverts and slow sleeping fish... How dangerous are they in this regard? I love the way they look and move around a tank, but would rather not lose other creatures to a mindless brittle... :(

You're probably thinking of green brittle starfish, which are carnivores and will actively hunt for fish. The average run of the mill brittle starfish are perfectly "fish safe".

Linknia stars are reef safe in my experience. Here are mine. They are a little on the difficult side. Pristine water conditions are needed.

I love your linkia collection only blue is available as of lately around here and its not something i wanna have shipped what are the prices of those where you live?

Back
Top Bottom