reef safe triggers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickthapainter

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would love to add a trigger to my tank. I was looking through my marine fish book and found the following triggers to be reef friendly:

pinktail
bluechin
crosshatch
sargassum

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with any of these fish in a reef tank?

TIA

nick

What is your defination of reef safe?
Do you have shrimp, do you want shrimp if the answer is yes to either of these then a trigger is out. I had a Blue throat in a fowlr and he was a great fish.
They say they may eat shrimp so if the fish is better then shrimp then try one out.
Like other fish it can go either way, the fish may not touch a thing in a reef but then again it may.

I was thinking more in lines of compatability with hard and soft corals and eventually a clam.

There are currently a couple of shrimp in the tank (haven't seen them yet, but hoping for the best). If they are still alive then a trigger is out. If not, then I would like to try. If they start nipping at the corals, I'll have to seed him/her back.

The male BT is very nice... I had mine for about a year, He just died one day for no known reason.
Its 50/50 with any fish, no one can say 100% that these fish won't nip at corals. Its worth a try IMO.

I have personally never had a problem with Pinktails or Nigers. They will both do fine in a reef setting as long as they are properly fed. As already mentioned, none are safe with decorative crustaceans.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom