Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Reef Saver Rock: Cycling & Aquascaping

I recently got 45 lbs. of reef saver rock from BRS for my 60 gallon rebuild. Just have a few questions as I'm getting things going. I plan on only using this rock and one piece of LR to seed. Trying to go with a somewhat minimalist aquascape. First off, how should I go about curing the rock? Should I just do it in the tank and wait it out for a month or so? Also, I'm looking for suggestions on how to aquascape. I was thinking maybe three 'islands' or something of the like. For the record, it will be a reef tank with everything from soft corals to some SPS down the road. Also, should I epoxy the rocks together? I'm open to any suggestions and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Ben

Old 12-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just from recent experience I wouldn't epoxy the rocks together.. Think if u ever have to get a fish out, u would not be able to disassemble the rocks to do so..

Old 12-12-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

You don't need to cure reef rock. You could probably epoxy them if you were very careful of places for fish to get stuck, though that doesn't happen often I would assume.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Should I be worried about the rocks leaching phosphates?

I will likely stay away from epoxy but will be sure the structures are sturdy and in place.

Any ideas for how to scape it?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like to create several caves with it, large caves. My tang loves swimming in and around those, he will find the smallest place possible to fit himself through. The reef rock is probably already been cured and it would be a good idea to rinse them good before you put it in your tank, if you really don't trust it you can keep them submerged in a bucket of saltwater for a day then test the water for everything you can.

Tags
api, aquascaping, cap, cycling, reef, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com