Reef Saver Rock: Cycling & Aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bnortz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got 45 lbs. of reef saver rock from BRS for my 60 gallon rebuild. Just have a few questions as I'm getting things going. I plan on only using this rock and one piece of LR to seed. Trying to go with a somewhat minimalist aquascape. First off, how should I go about curing the rock? Should I just do it in the tank and wait it out for a month or so? Also, I'm looking for suggestions on how to aquascape. I was thinking maybe three 'islands' or something of the like. For the record, it will be a reef tank with everything from soft corals to some SPS down the road. Also, should I epoxy the rocks together? I'm open to any suggestions and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Ben

Just from recent experience I wouldn't epoxy the rocks together.. Think if u ever have to get a fish out, u would not be able to disassemble the rocks to do so..

You don't need to cure reef rock. You could probably epoxy them if you were very careful of places for fish to get stuck, though that doesn't happen often I would assume.

Should I be worried about the rocks leaching phosphates?

I will likely stay away from epoxy but will be sure the structures are sturdy and in place.

Any ideas for how to scape it?

I like to create several caves with it, large caves. My tang loves swimming in and around those, he will find the smallest place possible to fit himself through. The reef rock is probably already been cured and it would be a good idea to rinse them good before you put it in your tank, if you really don't trust it you can keep them submerged in a bucket of saltwater for a day then test the water for everything you can.

Back
Top Bottom