Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Intake with skimmer (and filter sock) in the first compartment. the size of this will be dictated by your skimmer and filter sock. Make it just large enough for those.
This would be a good place for a heater as well.
I'm a fan of redundancy, so I would put one heater in the DT, and one in the sump. These would be slightly smaller than recommended, so together they do the job well, but if one fails, or get's stuck on, it won't cook or freeze everything before you figure it out.
The second compartment will be your refugium, which will be as large as possible.
The third compartment will be your return area. Like I said, if you use an ATO, this can be just big enough to fit your return pump.
A bubble trap is necessary before the return compartment. That would be a series of partitions, the first being attached to the bottom and sides, the second attached to the sides only and a bit off of the bottom, so water can travel under it.
The third is optional. This would attach to the bottom and sides as well.
I don't use a third partition on my sumps, because I believe air bubbles will float upward while water goes down under the second partition.
With just 2 partitions, and traveling through the refugium, you should not see any bubbles in the display.
This is awesome info, ill be picking up my 20g long this weekend and taking it to the glass shop to get the panes cut. How far apart should the bubble traps be apart?
__________________

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you just need to think about water flow. What gph is your return pump and how much flow will be going through that trap...
I would make them about 3/4 to and inch apart and maybe that far from the bottom too.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
you just need to think about water flow. What gph is your return pump and how much flow will be going through that trap...
I would make them about 3/4 to and inch apart and maybe that far from the bottom too.
How much flow do I need? Ill be running a pair of koralia evo 750's for powerheads so I have a good jump on my water turn.
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tkey3425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
How much flow do I need? Ill be running a pair of koralia evo 750's for powerheads so I have a good jump on my water turn.
If this is on your 75 build then id shoot for the 900-1200 return range.
__________________
Tkey3425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post

If this is on your 75 build then id shoot for the 900-1200 return range.
Well idk timmy I'm still in between my 55g or my 75g either one I'm gonna drill for an overflow from glass-holes.com
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A roughly 12" x 3/4" hole under the upper partition will accommodate a lot of water. Whatever return you want to use will be fine. 900 to 1200 sounds about right. Put a ball valve at the exhaust port of the return pump and choke it back if it's too much for your needs.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fleetwood PA.
Posts: 168
You could size the opening for the bubble trap so you can add media such as gfo or carbon in a media bag. It isn't as efficient as a reactor but it is a good use of that space.
__________________
JonathanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tkey3425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
Well idk timmy I'm still in between my 55g or my 75g either one I'm gonna drill for an overflow from glass-holes.com
You'll be much happier with the 75. My complaint of my 55 is the front to back space or lack of space i should say. You'll gain about 6 inches front to back and that doesn't sound like a lot but in a reef tank you'll have some corals that like sandy bottoms or low light placement so a good bit of open room in the front of the tank will be nice later on. Also your fish will appreciate it when you put your rock work in. I had to be really picky on what rocks I got for my tank because of front to back space in my 55. And even now i have all my rock work laying against my back glass to give me some open swimming area in front of the tank and i don't like it because if a fish happens to die back in a cave i cant get to it. Plus in a reef you'll also like a sort of shelf type aquascape to give you different height ledges to place corals. a 55 limits that aspect as well due to a slim footprint. Just food for thought Tex.
__________________
Tkey3425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post

You'll be much happier with the 75. My complaint of my 55 is the front to back space or lack of space i should say. You'll gain about 6 inches front to back and that doesn't sound like a lot but in a reef tank you'll have some corals that like sandy bottoms or low light placement so a good bit of open room in the front of the tank will be nice later on. Also your fish will appreciate it when you put your rock work in. I had to be really picky on what rocks I got for my tank because of front to back space in my 55. And even now i have all my rock work laying against my back glass to give me some open swimming area in front of the tank and i don't like it because if a fish happens to die back in a cave i cant get to it. Plus in a reef you'll also like a sort of shelf type aquascape to give you different height ledges to place corals. a 55 limits that aspect as well due to a slim footprint. Just food for thought Tex.
Weeeeeeeell mama bear says ones gotta go and the 55g has a stand and the 75g doesn't which means I would either need to buy one or build one and once I submit that request to the cabinet its gonna get shot down immediately.. so that's what I'm working with right now lol
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tkey3425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
Weeeeeeeell mama bear says ones gotta go and the 55g has a stand and the 75g doesn't which means I would either need to buy one or build one and once I submit that request to the cabinet its gonna get shot down immediately.. so that's what I'm working with right now lol
Sell the 55 and stand for a good 75 gallon stand.....or.....build one custom. It's not all that hard to build one but it is fairly difficult to build a really nice one. I'd personally take the couch for a few nights and get a stand Wouldnt be the first time mine pushed me out with the dogs on the fold out couch Never get Joint accounts haha. I'm slowly trying to build me a stash acount just for my saltwater addiction
__________________

__________________
Tkey3425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
reef, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.