Reef Sump/Fuge Help! Pleeeeease!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
so ive been searching for weeks now and ive begun to think the reef gods are mad at me or something, i cant find definite measurements on a 20g long sump/fuge, i know the skimmer dimensions matter but what about baffles, and glass thickness, and spacing, and all that other important info! i need help guys, im lost :confused:

1/4" glass partitions will work fine. a 20 long is about [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 12 3/4, [/FONT]so I would want the partitions about 9" or so. You will need some room at the top for when you shut the return pump off. the tank will drain into the sump until it stops. You can limit this, but still, you'll need a bit of space.
As for spacing, I would make the refugium as large as possible and the return area small. This is assuming you will use an auto topoff on your system. All evaporation will be seen in the return area, and that will run dry in a short time if it's small and you don't have an ATO.

i dont have an ATO or nor do i plan to have one, i have a watermill close to me thats has rodi water so i can just swing by and top off my 5g container every week and pump into the sump once a week. any definite measurements on bubble traps and such.

Well, no way is a 20 long, partitioned in 3 sections, going to last you a week before topping off. I suggest you think about the ATO.

Well, no way is a 20 long, partitioned in 3 sections, going to last you a week before topping off. I suggest you think about the ATO.

well i might do one, a DIY version but ill have (2) 5gal watermill containers i have one full a week that i use to top off my 36g bow front once a week with 10hrs of t5ho lighting 2" off the water, but water for top off is not a problem for me, still i need some guidance as too what would go where and how many inches to space things out.

What size should my refugum be for a 40 gal reef tank?

thanks

40 gallons ideally if possible. The impact you see from a fuge is directly related to the size ratio to your DT. Like me, there is no way I'm building a 200 gallon fuge so I'm just going to run a 40 gallon

40 gallons ideally if possible. The impact you see from a fuge is directly related to the size ratio to your DT. Like me, there is no way I'm building a 200 gallon fuge so I'm just going to run a 40 gallon

Sorry sent that late last night. I know you probably can't fit a 40 gallon under your 40gallon lol but I would shoot for your fuge holding at least half the water if your DT so shoot for a 30 gallon and make the refugium section as large as possible

What size should my refugum be for a 40 gal reef tank?

thanks
As big as you can fit in your allotted space. I have a whole room dedicated to my 300 gallon, so I have about 200 gallons of water split into 3 sumps. It cannot be too big, but it can be too small....but even small, it's still helpful.

still i need some guidance as too what would go where and how many inches to space things out.
Intake with skimmer (and filter sock) in the first compartment. the size of this will be dictated by your skimmer and filter sock. Make it just large enough for those.
This would be a good place for a heater as well.
I'm a fan of redundancy, so I would put one heater in the DT, and one in the sump. These would be slightly smaller than recommended, so together they do the job well, but if one fails, or get's stuck on, it won't cook or freeze everything before you figure it out.
The second compartment will be your refugium, which will be as large as possible.
The third compartment will be your return area. Like I said, if you use an ATO, this can be just big enough to fit your return pump.
A bubble trap is necessary before the return compartment. That would be a series of partitions, the first being attached to the bottom and sides, the second attached to the sides only and a bit off of the bottom, so water can travel under it.
The third is optional. This would attach to the bottom and sides as well.
I don't use a third partition on my sumps, because I believe air bubbles will float upward while water goes down under the second partition.
With just 2 partitions, and traveling through the refugium, you should not see any bubbles in the display.

Last edited:
Intake with skimmer (and filter sock) in the first compartment. the size of this will be dictated by your skimmer and filter sock. Make it just large enough for those.
This would be a good place for a heater as well.
I'm a fan of redundancy, so I would put one heater in the DT, and one in the sump. These would be slightly smaller than recommended, so together they do the job well, but if one fails, or get's stuck on, it won't cook or freeze everything before you figure it out.
The second compartment will be your refugium, which will be as large as possible.
The third compartment will be your return area. Like I said, if you use an ATO, this can be just big enough to fit your return pump.
A bubble trap is necessary before the return compartment. That would be a series of partitions, the first being attached to the bottom and sides, the second attached to the sides only and a bit off of the bottom, so water can travel under it.
The third is optional. This would attach to the bottom and sides as well.
I don't use a third partition on my sumps, because I believe air bubbles will float upward while water goes down under the second partition.
With just 2 partitions, and traveling through the refugium, you should not see any bubbles in the display.

This is awesome info, ill be picking up my 20g long this weekend and taking it to the glass shop to get the panes cut. How far apart should the bubble traps be apart?

you just need to think about water flow. What gph is your return pump and how much flow will be going through that trap...
I would make them about 3/4 to and inch apart and maybe that far from the bottom too.

you just need to think about water flow. What gph is your return pump and how much flow will be going through that trap...
I would make them about 3/4 to and inch apart and maybe that far from the bottom too.

How much flow do I need? Ill be running a pair of koralia evo 750's for powerheads so I have a good jump on my water turn.

A roughly 12" x 3/4" hole under the upper partition will accommodate a lot of water. Whatever return you want to use will be fine. 900 to 1200 sounds about right. Put a ball valve at the exhaust port of the return pump and choke it back if it's too much for your needs.

You could size the opening for the bubble trap so you can add media such as gfo or carbon in a media bag. It isn't as efficient as a reactor but it is a good use of that space.

Well idk timmy I'm still in between my 55g or my 75g either one I'm gonna drill for an overflow from glass-holes.com

You'll be much happier with the 75. My complaint of my 55 is the front to back space or lack of space i should say. You'll gain about 6 inches front to back and that doesn't sound like a lot but in a reef tank you'll have some corals that like sandy bottoms or low light placement so a good bit of open room in the front of the tank will be nice later on. Also your fish will appreciate it when you put your rock work in. I had to be really picky on what rocks I got for my tank because of front to back space in my 55. And even now i have all my rock work laying against my back glass to give me some open swimming area in front of the tank and i don't like it because if a fish happens to die back in a cave i cant get to it. Plus in a reef you'll also like a sort of shelf type aquascape to give you different height ledges to place corals. a 55 limits that aspect as well due to a slim footprint. Just food for thought Tex.

You'll be much happier with the 75. My complaint of my 55 is the front to back space or lack of space i should say. You'll gain about 6 inches front to back and that doesn't sound like a lot but in a reef tank you'll have some corals that like sandy bottoms or low light placement so a good bit of open room in the front of the tank will be nice later on. Also your fish will appreciate it when you put your rock work in. I had to be really picky on what rocks I got for my tank because of front to back space in my 55. And even now i have all my rock work laying against my back glass to give me some open swimming area in front of the tank and i don't like it because if a fish happens to die back in a cave i cant get to it. Plus in a reef you'll also like a sort of shelf type aquascape to give you different height ledges to place corals. a 55 limits that aspect as well due to a slim footprint. Just food for thought Tex.

Weeeeeeeell mama bear says ones gotta go and the 55g has a stand and the 75g doesn't which means I would either need to buy one or build one and once I submit that request to the cabinet its gonna get shot down immediately.. so that's what I'm working with right now lol

Weeeeeeeell mama bear says ones gotta go and the 55g has a stand and the 75g doesn't which means I would either need to buy one or build one and once I submit that request to the cabinet its gonna get shot down immediately.. so that's what I'm working with right now lol

Sell the 55 and stand for a good 75 gallon stand.....or.....build one custom. It's not all that hard to build one but it is fairly difficult to build a really nice one. I'd personally take the couch for a few nights and get a stand :) Wouldnt be the first time mine pushed me out with the dogs on the fold out couch :lol: Never get Joint accounts haha. I'm slowly trying to build me a stash acount just for my saltwater addiction :brows:

Back
Top Bottom