Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reef Sump/Fuge Help! Pleeeeease!

so ive been searching for weeks now and ive begun to think the reef gods are mad at me or something, i cant find definite measurements on a 20g long sump/fuge, i know the skimmer dimensions matter but what about baffles, and glass thickness, and spacing, and all that other important info! i need help guys, im lost

Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
1/4" glass partitions will work fine. a 20 long is about 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 12 3/4, so I would want the partitions about 9" or so. You will need some room at the top for when you shut the return pump off. the tank will drain into the sump until it stops. You can limit this, but still, you'll need a bit of space.
As for spacing, I would make the refugium as large as possible and the return area small. This is assuming you will use an auto topoff on your system. All evaporation will be seen in the return area, and that will run dry in a short time if it's small and you don't have an ATO.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i dont have an ATO or nor do i plan to have one, i have a watermill close to me thats has rodi water so i can just swing by and top off my 5g container every week and pump into the sump once a week. any definite measurements on bubble traps and such.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, no way is a 20 long, partitioned in 3 sections, going to last you a week before topping off. I suggest you think about the ATO.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Well, no way is a 20 long, partitioned in 3 sections, going to last you a week before topping off. I suggest you think about the ATO.

well i might do one, a DIY version but ill have (2) 5gal watermill containers i have one full a week that i use to top off my 36g bow front once a week with 10hrs of t5ho lighting 2" off the water, but water for top off is not a problem for me, still i need some guidance as too what would go where and how many inches to space things out.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

refugum

What size should my refugum be for a 40 gal reef tank?

thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzepher1 View Post

thanks
40 gallons ideally if possible. The impact you see from a fuge is directly related to the size ratio to your DT. Like me, there is no way I'm building a 200 gallon fuge so I'm just going to run a 40 gallon
Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post

40 gallons ideally if possible. The impact you see from a fuge is directly related to the size ratio to your DT. Like me, there is no way I'm building a 200 gallon fuge so I'm just going to run a 40 gallon
Sorry sent that late last night. I know you probably can't fit a 40 gallon under your 40gallon lol but I would shoot for your fuge holding at least half the water if your DT so shoot for a 30 gallon and make the refugium section as large as possible
Old 09-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzepher1 View Post

thanks
As big as you can fit in your allotted space. I have a whole room dedicated to my 300 gallon, so I have about 200 gallons of water split into 3 sumps. It cannot be too big, but it can be too small....but even small, it's still helpful.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
still i need some guidance as too what would go where and how many inches to space things out.
Intake with skimmer (and filter sock) in the first compartment. the size of this will be dictated by your skimmer and filter sock. Make it just large enough for those.
This would be a good place for a heater as well.
I'm a fan of redundancy, so I would put one heater in the DT, and one in the sump. These would be slightly smaller than recommended, so together they do the job well, but if one fails, or get's stuck on, it won't cook or freeze everything before you figure it out.
The second compartment will be your refugium, which will be as large as possible.
The third compartment will be your return area. Like I said, if you use an ATO, this can be just big enough to fit your return pump.
A bubble trap is necessary before the return compartment. That would be a series of partitions, the first being attached to the bottom and sides, the second attached to the sides only and a bit off of the bottom, so water can travel under it.
The third is optional. This would attach to the bottom and sides as well.
I don't use a third partition on my sumps, because I believe air bubbles will float upward while water goes down under the second partition.
With just 2 partitions, and traveling through the refugium, you should not see any bubbles in the display.

Tags
reef, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com