Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2005, 08:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
My LFS recomends Calcium +3 (Red Sea), and Iodine as suppliments, especially if you use a protein skimmer.

As for water changes I do a 10g out of my 75 once a month, and 3g out of my 15 once a month, and 4g out of my 29QT 2 times per week.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah everything i read says water changes but i just went with what they sayed? I do have to say the tank looks real good but it is exspensive to maintain! I want easy and cheap I wish i had the money to turn my 125 in to a reef I love the reef thing but it can be costly! I will slowly upgrade reef tanks as one out grows it's self. I want to seel the 125 but my wife wont let me get rid of the spiny puffer So im stuck with it till he dies From what i hear that could be years and years?

Old 03-27-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water Changes!!
Old 03-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrikat
If you do regular water changes(10 to 20% a week) with a good salt mix, you do not need to add additives.

This is not true. Ca MUST be supplimented if your keeping any kind of LPS or SPS corals. The water change will not keep the DKH and the CA high enough for the corals to use it. Ca needs to be up around 440 and DKH should be in the 10-12 range. If the DKH is not in line, the corals cannot use the Ca no matter how high the level. Water changes will not properly buffer the water.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Doesn't that depend on the water you use in your water change?

I'm with you Myers, easy and cheap is the way to go... I try not to do water changes so I don't have to keep buying the salt but without them I need to use the additives.

So far, my tap water seems to keep most of the levels in line but I worry about the stuff I can't test for. You might want to do the math on less frequent water changes and supplements vs. more frequent changes and less suplements.

I'm sure someone w/ more experience will correct me as to which of the two is more advisable despite the cost.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNero1331
Doesn't that depend on the water you use in your water change?

I'm with you Myers, easy and cheap is the way to go... I try not to do water changes so I don't have to keep buying the salt but without them I need to use the additives.

So far, my tap water seems to keep most of the levels in line but I worry about the stuff I can't test for. You might want to do the math on less frequent water changes and supplements vs. more frequent changes and less suplements.

I'm sure someone w/ more experience will correct me as to which of the two is more advisable despite the cost.

Better water will most definately help, but its not a long term solution to keeping Ca in line. Other supps, such as trace elements are more easily kept in check with simple water changes.

More frequent water changes have a greater effect on water quality than it will on supp levels. It will go along way in removing DOCs and heavy metals that have no other way out of the system.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This is not true. Ca MUST be supplimented if your keeping any kind of LPS or SPS corals. The water change will not keep the DKH and the CA high enough for the corals to use it. Ca needs to be up around 440 and DKH should be in the 10-12 range. If the DKH is not in line, the corals cannot use the Ca no matter how high the level. Water changes will not properly buffer the water.
I do not dose ANY reef additives. I only rely on water changes. Alk is 4.8 and Calcium is 460.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:50 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

alkalinity referrs to PH. DKH must be between 10-12 for Ca to be usable.

and if you are able to maintain a 460ppm level of Ca with simple water changes, I would have to ask how many LPS and SPS you have in your system. Doesnt sound like there is much drawing the Ca out of the water.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!

Tags
reef, supplement, supplements

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com