REEF SUPPLEMENTS???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMyers18

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20gal. reef tank and i was wondering what everyone uses for supplements? I have been using a TON of Natureef supplements but they are exspensive and you have to add some stuff every day and other stuff every other day! And it is just a pain in the butt! So i am wanting to go to something easy. But i dont want to be limited to what i can put in it either. It has been up and running almost 7 months and it looks good. But the guy at the fish store where i go says if i want to put hard corals in my tank i need another 3 bottles of crap? And im just done droping so much money. I have 130watts of light in a 20 tall so any input would be great TIA

I used the KENT Start-up Kit for reef aquariums

• Iodine
For proper growth and health of invertebrates and algae
• Strontium & Molybdenum
Corals will open more and stay attached to their skeletons better
• Liquid Calcium
Provides bio-available calcium for healthier, more beautiful corals

I paid maybe 12$ for it...

Do you need to suppliment? Doing regular water changes should keep levels up where they need to be. I do not recommend dosing anything you do not test for (i.e. iodine). In a 20 gal tank over-dosing could be disastorous.

That is what im asking! If just water changes would work to be able to keep any type of coral i would just do that. I dont want to dose if i dont have to. But the Natureef stuff recomends that you dont do water changes? I have not done one in 7 months? What about KALK?

If you do regular water changes(10 to 20% a week) with a good salt mix, you do not need to add additives. I change 5 gallons a week in my 20g and 20gallons a week in my 90g. I have all kinds of corals in both tanks and they are doing great.

I use either Coralife or Crystal sea. Not sure if either have enough nutrients or not? But i would sure love to just do water changes on it once every other week or one a week! I use those cuz that is what my LFS carrys! But maybe i will look around for Instant Ocean?

My LFS recomends Calcium +3 (Red Sea), and Iodine as suppliments, especially if you use a protein skimmer.

As for water changes I do a 10g out of my 75 once a month, and 3g out of my 15 once a month, and 4g out of my 29QT 2 times per week.

Yeah everything i read says water changes but i just went with what they sayed? I do have to say the tank looks real good but it is exspensive to maintain! I want easy and cheap :lol: I wish i had the money to turn my 125 in to a reef :cry: I love the reef thing but it can be costly! I will slowly upgrade reef tanks as one out grows it's self. I want to seel the 125 but my wife wont let me get rid of the spiny puffer :lol: So im stuck with it till he dies :wink: From what i hear that could be years and years?

electrikat said:
If you do regular water changes(10 to 20% a week) with a good salt mix, you do not need to add additives.

This is not true. Ca MUST be supplimented if your keeping any kind of LPS or SPS corals. The water change will not keep the DKH and the CA high enough for the corals to use it. Ca needs to be up around 440 and DKH should be in the 10-12 range. If the DKH is not in line, the corals cannot use the Ca no matter how high the level. Water changes will not properly buffer the water. :wink:

Doesn't that depend on the water you use in your water change?

I'm with you Myers, easy and cheap is the way to go... I try not to do water changes so I don't have to keep buying the salt but without them I need to use the additives.

So far, my tap water seems to keep most of the levels in line but I worry about the stuff I can't test for. You might want to do the math on less frequent water changes and supplements vs. more frequent changes and less suplements.

I'm sure someone w/ more experience will correct me as to which of the two is more advisable despite the cost.

DeNero1331 said:
Doesn't that depend on the water you use in your water change?

I'm with you Myers, easy and cheap is the way to go... I try not to do water changes so I don't have to keep buying the salt but without them I need to use the additives.

So far, my tap water seems to keep most of the levels in line but I worry about the stuff I can't test for. You might want to do the math on less frequent water changes and supplements vs. more frequent changes and less suplements.

I'm sure someone w/ more experience will correct me as to which of the two is more advisable despite the cost.

Better water will most definately help, but its not a long term solution to keeping Ca in line. Other supps, such as trace elements are more easily kept in check with simple water changes.

More frequent water changes have a greater effect on water quality than it will on supp levels. It will go along way in removing DOCs and heavy metals that have no other way out of the system.

This is not true. Ca MUST be supplimented if your keeping any kind of LPS or SPS corals. The water change will not keep the DKH and the CA high enough for the corals to use it. Ca needs to be up around 440 and DKH should be in the 10-12 range. If the DKH is not in line, the corals cannot use the Ca no matter how high the level. Water changes will not properly buffer the water.
I do not dose ANY reef additives. I only rely on water changes. Alk is 4.8 and Calcium is 460.

alkalinity referrs to PH. DKH must be between 10-12 for Ca to be usable. :wink:

and if you are able to maintain a 460ppm level of Ca with simple water changes, I would have to ask how many LPS and SPS you have in your system. Doesnt sound like there is much drawing the Ca out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom